Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not my poem. Only the beginning lines of

"THERE'S NOTHING LIKE A SMOKE by, WC Bennett.

There's nothing like a smoke,
To that I'll firmly stick;
Give me a pipe for comfort,
Whether, lads, I'm well or sick.
Take anything away you like,
But that'll be a joke;
But leave me still by blessed pipe,
Oh, there's nothing like a smoke . "

http://fujipub.com/ooops/quotes.html#tobaccopoems

Sent from my iPhone

Bringing out the pipe after a long hiatas.

1411781370408.jpg

I recently joined a monthly pipe tobacco club through pipesandcigars.com in order to try and branch out from the typical cheap stuff available around where I live. Thus far I am quite pleased. Every month they send three tins of different tobacco plus a pouch of their exclusive monthly blend. So I've been using my pipe a lot more now that it's cooling off. I never smoke during the summer usually unless it's a celebratory cigar with friends.

I've always though that was a cool idea. I drink over $20 a month, but have never smoked enough to justify the cost. Christmas may be a nice big sampler hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have a tin of Nightcap I bought in 2008 I am waiting for a reason to open. I also have a tin of 1792 about the same age.

My favorite is probably Balkan Sasieni. I'm kind of a latakia head.

But I do like a Va / Perique blend - just not all the time. I always perceive them as "ketchup" smelling.

Anybody interested in buying this off of me? I got it and smoked one bowl out of it but its not my cup of tea. I was thinking $6 shipped OBO if anyone is interested. Usually $6-$7 plus shipping online.

Here is the weblink for the info on it: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/82802/orlik-club-mixutre/#p-157210

If no one wants it I'll probably let it sit a while and see if that changes anything for me.

Cheers!

IMAG0410.jpg

If I could find more than one half hearted review for it, I would take it just to say I tried it. All they reviews indicate I probably won't care for it. I can get carter hall for $4.50, and it has better reviews. Sounds like it is probably similar.

I was "back in the day" a pipe smoker, then moved on to cigars. I just ordered a pipe, it had good reviews as a "starter" pipe.

I am pretty avid in my cigar smoking, and I look forward to enjoying my new hobby as well, it does have a certain perceived sophistication to it.

pipe.jpg

That's a classic. I started w pipes and moved to cigars in college. Moved back to pipes after having kids and not enough funds (mouths to feed, Yada yada yada).

Never regretted the move back to a pipe.

Good ole Dr. Grabow. Definitely a classic look.

If Doctor Graybow never existed. American pipe smokers would be even less. Grabow pipes are very well constructed, generally smoke well and are a great introduction at a reasonable cost.

Prince Albert pipe tobacco and a Graybow pipe are in my opinion, the greatest combo when you first smoke a pipe. Great start!

I have some very expensive pipes in my collection plus "premium" high dollar tobacco too. I do enjoy those very much !

Still though, my comfort zone is a straight Graybow and PA.

Don't ever let the allure of expensive pipes and exotic tobacco keep you from trying the drugstore pipes and tobacco. Never.

You'll find your niche. Pipes are good. Price. .. Irrelevant.

Cheers

I haven't smoked anything in a very long time. Have even been considering getting rid of all my pipe, etc...

And then I get a whiff of all that sweet, natural, earthy goodness that is my tobacco collection and it gives me pause to consider packing a bowl.

I haven't done it yet because I am always in the middle of something else with no time to sit and enjoy a bowl. And then I see this thread and I am back full circle again.

GMB, do yourself a favor and don't sell. Pipes last forever. Tobacco last a pretty long time with average care

Hold on to your stuff. I have some 45 year old pipes in my collection (my dad 's, and my uncle's ). Some of them I've never smoked but they'll be ready when I am.

Cheers!

I was running really low on cigars and hadn't really paid attention to how actually low my supply was, mainly because I don't smoke a lot and pipe smoking had taken the forefront.

Anyways, the day I was planning to order, I got an email for bulk dunhill, 1 lb. bag for $35. I decided to add that to my order. I am pretty impressed so far. Of course, it seems every new tobacco I get is my favorite, maybe I have a problem.

Anyways, I picked up the Dunhill Nightcap. PRetty well known tobacco it seems, but if you haven't tried it and you like English blends, I'd definitely recommend it. Not a great room note, compared to other pipe tobacco, but if you are also a cigar smoker like myself, and tend to not really go for aromatics, this one should be right up your alley.

seeing this makes me want to dig up my stash of black cavendish and enjoy a bowl on the porch in the desert rain. I love pipes, but mostly aromatics, so pipe smokers generally laugh when I break out the Captain Black blue label, but I have a little running collection of stuff. Would like to get my hands on some Amphora again, but stateside that's a problem.

Well, I got an email from pipesandcigars.com last week and they hooked me big time.

Savemelange.jpg

I had purchased a Savinelli a few months ago, a Florence, which is one of their budget lines, and it is such a good smoker, I've had my eyes peeled since then. I just could not pass this up for $59. It's a Melange 305. Only had one bowl through it so far, but it's a really comfortable pipe to smoke so far. My only regret is that I didn't get another one from the line as they are all sold out of the 5 styles now.

Congrats! That's s great looking pipe. I really like the feel of that style and the exterior, I forget what is called but it seems to help keep the pipe cool.

A buddy of mine that I turned on to pipe smoking a few years back is coming to visit me in a few weeks, so I picked him up a little Christmas present. He always comments on my "Gandalf" pipe, so I thought he'd like a churchwarden to add to his collection.

pipe.JPG

Very nice...my first pipe was actually a churchwarden. Its nice to smoke while sitting down, but I find its too long/heavy to clench while doing anything else.

I can't believe I missed this thread before. I've only been smoking pipes for a couple of years, and I don't do it very often, but I enjoy it. Part of the problem is I don't really like to smoke inside, so my chances are limited. But, I'm getting married next year and giving pipes for my groomsmens gifts, along with some vintage tobacco tins. This is the one I picked out for myself, which has been a nice change of pace from the churchwarden:

pipe.jpg

Very nice...my first pipe was actually a churchwarden. Its nice to smoke while sitting down, but I find its too long/heavy to clench while doing anything else.

I love mine for sitting down in a big comfy chair and reading a book, or sitting around a campfire staring at the embers. But yeah for pretty much anything else, it's just cumbersome and unwieldy. Mine's like 18" long.

I've only been smoking pipes for a couple of years, and I don't do it very often, but I enjoy it. Part of the problem is I don't really like to smoke inside, so my chances are limited.

I don't often anymore either. Used to be a daily ritual, but these days it's pretty much reserved for special occasions. Too busy, SWMBO doesn't like me smelling/tasting like old tobacco, etc etc.

I actually love smoking indoors - just not in my own house. :D

But, I'm getting married next year and giving pipes for my groomsmens gifts, along with some vintage tobacco tins.

Very cool :rockin:

This is the one I picked out for myself, which has been a nice change of pace from the churchwarden:

Very cool :rockin:

I can't believe I missed this thread before. I've only been smoking pipes for a couple of years, and I don't do it very often, but I enjoy it. Part of the problem is I don't really like to smoke inside, so my chances are limited. But, I'm getting married next year and giving pipes for my groomsmens gifts, along with some vintage tobacco tins. This is the one I picked out for myself, which has been a nice change of pace from the churchwarden:

View attachment 238091

Great groomsmen gift. Wish I'd have thought of that when I got married. Although back then I was strictly cigars.

Not sure if this will get much traffic, but is anyone here into the e-cigarette / e-pipe scene ("scene" makes it sound nefarious...it's late/early)?
I used an e-cigarette for a couple of years, recently switched to an e-pipe and a variety of pipe tobacco extracted liquids...reminds me what I loved about a pipe years ago (and it's not the cigarette which I smoked immediately after). Just curious on whether there are others on here who partake.

Totally dig it. Very nice looking pipe.

Ps. You pull off the outrageous mutton chops well. 😄

Thanks on both counts. The pipe's a bent Dr. Grabow Viking. The chops have been around for a month. Had to have something new for people to talk about. They had layed off the Mohawk. The front side is a little light because I'm letting them fill in a little. I've stretched my plant's facial hair rules about as far as I can. I have to be able to wear a full face respirator and SCBA. Soul patch, mustache, and chops are it. I'm not a fan of a stache at all. I had a small goatee before I worked here. Don't plan on a goatee for another 25+ years. :) Job security. :)

I need to unpack my pipes, it's been near 2 years since I moved ant they are still packed away. Thanks to this thread I just happened upon I think I'm going to head to the basement and poke around.

Indeed I did find them all!

And I found my pipe tobacco as well! I always kept my tobacco in my humidor to maintain the proper humidity, and when I moved I vacuum packed it and tossed it into the box with the bubble wrapped pipes

Amazing that it's in perfect smoking order. I loaded up the church warden and puffed away.....

Perhaps I should get a few pics of my pipes together, nothing too fancy, but they all smoke wonderfully.

Also.... That pipe tobacco is a 60/40 blend of black cavendish and cherry burley if memory serves me right, no idea why it's such a delight to me, but it has always been a favorite.

Indeed I did find them all!

And I found my pipe tobacco as well! I always kept my tobacco in my humidor to maintain the proper humidity, and when I moved I vacuum packed it and tossed it into the box with the bubble wrapped pipes

Amazing that it's in perfect smoking order. I loaded up the church warden and puffed away.....

Perhaps I should get a few pics of my pipes together, nothing too fancy, but they all smoke wonderfully.

Also.... That pipe tobacco is a 60/40 blend of black cavendish and cherry burley if memory serves me right, no idea why it's such a delight to me, but it has always been a favorite.

Scoob! What's up man? Long time, no chat!

Now that you're in Illinois, we need to meet up and grab a beer. :mug:

Indeed we do need to meet up!

Pm me thoughts on a where/when thing, I'm supposed to meet with a few members of the St. Andrews society for a few drams, maybe we could incorporate into a beer and scotch get together!

We're the boys from Illinois
We ride the roads and ditches.......

I remember that from my teenage years. Have no idea of how it goes now.

We're the boys from Illinois
We ride the roads and ditches.......

I remember that from my teenage years. Have no idea of how it goes now.

We're the boys from illinois
We live in caves and ditches
We bang our cocks on jagged rocks
We're mean sons of bitches

We're The boys from illinois
We wipe our ass with broken glass
And laugh because it itches

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

We're the boys from illinois
We bang our cocks on jagged rocks
We're mean sons of bitches

We're The boys from illinois
We wipe our ass with broken glass
And laugh because it itches

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

HaHaHa.. Illinois! Now I remember that ditty.

We were one of the last states to ban smoking in restaurants, I'm not sure the helmet law has passed yet, and as far as I know Il is one of the few states that doesn't take state tax out of a serviceman's pay (as long as they are stationed outside Illinois) and I could have kept my drivers license from my 16th birthday till I was no longer in the military.. Renew by mail for a couple bucks every 4-5 years. (EDIT - No, it was just good till I left the military even after 30 years, no fee)

Il, is also one of few states that pays (might be past tense now) free Il State, or U of I tuition to any Illinoisan that honorably served the military..

That's my home state - Rebellious but definitely not southern.. redneck at times? Hmm... Hell yes! Overall pretty good folks and home of Abraham Lincoln :mug:

Newb to pipe smoke, here's my pickups over the past week, not including a Torino straight sandblast in my work truck. Looking forward to smoking through the Boswell blends, which is funny, with cigars I'm not a flavored fan.

Newb to pipe smoke, here's my pickups over the past week, not including a Torino straight sandblast in my work truck. Looking forward to smoking through the Boswell blends, which is funny, with cigars I'm not a flavored fan.

Nice looking pipes and tobacco collection. Enjoy brother!

Back