Fermentation chamber set-up questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedicMike

Reaction score
Good Afternoon everyone. I hope Santa was generous with the Beer gear.

I'm looking for some input on a Fermentation Chamber set-up. I have already built a temperature controller with a Love TSS2-2100. Same as this one here -->https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/another-tss2-controller-box-build-195713/. I was also given a 17.5 cu ft deep freezer chest for the fermentation chamber. It will hold four 6.5 gallon ale pails in it or I can fit six 5 gallon glass carboys. I will be using a Brewpad for the heating.

So here are my questions regarding set-up so far:
1. What do I set the temperature of the freezer?
2. Do I need to do anything special with the temp probe when I attach it to the fermenter?

Any other suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

Are you planning on brewing 4 batches generally close to each other, or will they be staggered so that only one batch is really actively fermenting at a time? If only one batch is int he first week or two of pitching, then I'd base the freezer temp on that batch and let the rest of the batches age at whatever temp is determined by the actively fermenting batch. Just know that since the freezer will be trying to cool the actively fermenting batch, the other batches might be 5-10 degrees lower than the set temp. If that's a problem, you could aim for a temp for the whole chamber and let the actively fermenting batch ferment a little warmer.

As far as attaching it, I always figure it goes along the lines of thermowell>taped to side>jar of water next to fermenter>hanging loose in fridge. The last two are really the only option if you're trying to set a chamber temp rather than temp for a specific fermenter. If you're just taking the one active fermenter approach though, taping it to the side will be easier and should give you almost the same results. That way you don't have to buy multiple thermowells to switch batches, when one batch slows down and you brew a new batch you can just move the taped probe to the new bucket. I've seen people use a towel or bubble wrap to tape the probe to the bucket to insulate it from outside temp changes as well, might be something to consider.

So here are my questions regarding set-up so far:
1. What do I set the temperature of the freezer?
2. Do I need to do anything special with the temp probe when I attach it to the fermenter?

Re #1, I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking what temp to set on your controller, or on the freezer itself? If on the controller, you'd want it set it per the recipe and/or the recommended temp range for the yeast you're using. If you're talking about the freezer itself, set it to the coldest setting and let the controller control it.

Re #2, a thermowell will give you the most accurate temp control. Next best option is probably to attach the probe to the side of the fermenter and insulate it from the air with a piece of styrofoam.

Thanks for the responses. At this point, I'll only be using it for one batch at a time, so I won't need to worry about different batches at different temps.

I was asking about the freezer temp itself. I'll set it at the lowest setting and let the controller manage it.

I'll just tape the temp probe to the fermenter for now. I'll have to invest in a thermowell later.

Has anyone used a Brewpad? I just want to make sure it will do the job. I would guess that with just one batch at a time, it should do ok. Thanks again.

Mike

Here's a few pics of the freezer and the controller.

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

Back