WLP670 Farmhouse yeast/Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LynnHomeBrewer

Reaction score
So I have my Saison Wort fermenting in secondary. I'm thinking of aging it there for 5 months and bottling in March. Kinda like how Belgians did/do with the historic Saisons and farmhouse ales.

Does anyone have experience fermenting their Wort with Brett infected yeast? Same as WLP670 or different brand. I'd like some input, results or advice with Brett infections.

I tasted to gravity reading and its loaded with funk! Can't wait till March!

Thank you all,
Sean

I recently bottled a farmhouse ale fermented with WLP670. Like you, I was planning on letting it sit for a few months, but then I tasted a sample after only 3-4 weeks. The brett funk was already pretty strong and I liked the flavor, so I just went ahead and bottled. I washed and saved a few jars of the yeast slurry, so I will definitely be using this stuff again soon.

How much yeast slurry is typical for another 5 gallon batch? I was thinking of doing the same. Its pretty much the Trub at bottom of carboy right?

How much yeast slurry is typical for another 5 gallon batch? I was thinking of doing the same. Its pretty much the Trub at bottom of carboy right?

Not really sure about the pitching rates when using slurry - I usually just make a big starter with my jar of washed slurry, or pitch multiple jars to be sure I have enough. Check out the sticky on yeast washing for a full explanation of the process. It's really easy, just make sure you are very thorough with sanitation.

I'm thinking that its really the Brettanomyces I want. It will multiply enough in another batch with another vial of Saison yeast. I love the funk it adds. Not necessarily concerned with how much slurry is needed to ferment another batch just yet, though its something I want to know.

Anyway to harvest the Brettanomyces leftover when bottling?

Thank you all for suggestions and info.

Back