Bottle Bombs? Approximate PSI?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopherM

Reaction score
I have a recipe for a heffeweisen I just bottled that called for a 4.00 CO2 volume, which meant almost 7.0 oz of priming sugar according to the TastyBrew calculator.

Does anybody know the approximate PSI or CO2 volume that a bottle can reasonably handle? I assume my batch is OK, or it wouldn't be in the recipe, I've just never used so much priming sugar in a batch before.

There is really no easy answer. Part of the issue is that there is no easy calculation between volumes of CO2 and PSI. A lot of factors come into play like temperature and such.

Also atmosphere and volume of co2 are not quite the same. This thread will give you a headache to try to figure it out. http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11358

To compound the issue champagne bottles ARE rated in PSI and can hold iirc 90psi.

Different BEER bottle manufactures make different thicknesses of bottles, which are going to be able to hold different volumes of co2. Have you noticed that some of the commercial beer bottles are heavier than others? And that the ones you buy from the LHBs are often so thin you'd swear they were made of candy glass?

And trying to find direct ratings for the bottles on line is near impossible.

A THICK walled 12 ounce industry standard longneck should hold between 3.5-4 volumes of co2. But I wouldn't comfortably put more than 3.5 in them since you can never tell really the pedigree.

And it's really the same with 22 ounce or pints, they all vary in thickness.

Hope this helps.

I know it isn't appreciated for most things, but PET bottles have more strength than champagne bottles and come in a convient assortment of sizes. To really be sure you can use plastic. On the glass, I'm more lost then Revvy.

Thanks, that answers my question. I've already bottled these, so it looks like I'm going to have to keep an eye on them and cold crash them after I get adequate CO2 to my tastes. Thanks!

Back