So what's next? ingredient selection help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggyt

Reaction score
Happy Brew Year fellow HBT-ers...I am in need of your assistance.

I need to brew using an abundance of ingredients, but the combinations of hops has me at a standstill. I have almost one pound of each of the following hops:

Willamette
Cascade
Crystal

I'd like to use as many as possible in an IPA of sorts, using a Pils/Munich/Vienna base malt combo. Probably borderline IIPA with a 1.070-ish OG using WLP001 to ferment.

I'm open to any suggestions for combination ratios or addition suggestions.

What you need is a pound of bittering hops to go with these. You could make American Pale Ales/Stouts/Porters/RIS with the Cascades, English Pale Ales/Stouts/Porters/IPAs/RIS with the Willamette, and use the Crystal for lagers, Wheats and Belgians.

If you have to go with what you have I would use Cascade for bittering (because it probably has the highest AAs), and Willamette to finish because it's,more traditional.

I don't know how much you brew. I use 4+ ozs hops per brew. 20 batches a year is 80 ozs or 5 lbs of hops (or more). I've gone thru 9 lbs this year. Go buy a few pounds. Maybe a clean bittering hop like Magnum or Galena which can be used in anything, dual use hops like Chinook (Arrogant Bastard hop) or Centennial (Stone IPA hop), and a couple of flavor hops of your favorite styles of beer. If stored correctly, hops will last for a couple of years at least.

Back