full size (15.5gal) Keg fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamarkid7

Reaction score
What's up guys. I found a full size keg with a rubber coating on it. I figured that would be a great fermentation vessel. There should be no problems with this rite. I would ferment my 10 gal batches in it.

I am about to use one as my fermenter for the first time. I took my time cleaning it as best I could with some hot water, oxyclean and a carboy brush. I have 2" tri-clover clamp and fitting (since this will also be used for other applications) that allows a #10.5 drilled stopper to fit in it perfectly. from what ive read it works out great.

Check out brewershardware.com. He has the tri-clover fitting for the original keg outlet. I've been thinking about the same thing. The cleaning and the fermentation temperature have me hung up.

Should be fine. I would clean it with PBW or Oxiclean Free and then sanitize as usual. If you are looking for an easy conversion, check this out:

http://www.brewershardware.com/Sanke-Fermenter-Kits/

haven't actually used it, but its on my list of things to buy for the brewery...

If you need help disassembling the sanke, ask the Google gods, they will show you the way :)

EDIT: Reelale beat me to it...

I use a Sanke all the time for fermentation. I do 5 or 10 gallon batches in a 15.5 gallon Sanke with no problem. It cleans easy with oxiclean. I simply fill the keg halfway with oxiclean solution and soak for 1 hour, flip the keg and soak the other side for 1 hour. If I'm pressed for time I soak it with a full 15.5gallons of oxiclean solution. It works great comes out spotless and makes beer transfers simple and with no oxygen exposure.

I don't think headspace would be a problem, especially with 10 gallon batches. Even with 5 gallon. I think if you had a way to cool them, sankeys would be ideal fermentors.

I don't think head space for a 5 or a10 gallon batch would be an issue. Fermentation should produce enough CO2 to replace the air in the head space. The biggest issue is with temperature control during fermentation. A typical heating pad is not large enough for a 15.5 gallon keg. I would probably use a fridge with a temperature controller to regulate the temps.

1/2 bbl Sankeys make excellent fermenters! You can begin using a simple carboy cap with an air lock for your initial runs. The $75 clover additions Darrin offers seem an obvious choice if you find you prefer using the keg for fermenting.

Moving a single container around with 10 gallons in it does present different logistics. In particular if you decide to lager or temp control your fermentation.

Cleaning without elbow grease is a snap. I prefer caustic to clean, but there are a lot a lot who prefer more chemically neutral approaches.

Good luck!

When I first started doing 5 gallon batches I was worried that it would be an issue but results have shown not a problem. CO2 is heavier than O2 and therefore the liquid surface exposed to air is the first to be blanketed by the CO2. After a few hours I can open up the top of the sanke and there is definitely enough CO2 to burn my nose.

I ferment in a relatively small but normal fridge controlled with a Ranco controller. It fits well and works great. I would not suggest lifting a full 10 gallons into a fridge if you have back/orthopedic problems but not to difficult otherwise unless you are going to do it all day. 5gallons within a Sanke is relatively easy to move around unless you have to carry up/down steps.

Back