black specs in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizenheimer

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the cause is but I keep getting little black floaties in be beer. I'd guess they come from somewhere in the kegging system. The floaties drop to the bottom of each glass fairly quickly. At first I thought it was little bit of rubber from my poppets which have seen better days. But I get them off every draw. Or could it be a build up of some type of mold in my lines? I do a heavy cleaning of the lines about every 4th keg or so and between the others I flush them with hot water and then idaphor solution. The beer tastes good, Any ideas?

Check your faucet. This is the most common problem I've seen. Back when I used cheaper faucets (before perlicks), I noticed that the grease buildup on the outside of them was horrible. Everytime you pull the handle forward, the little rod pushed out more grease. If you don't keep an eye on it and wipe it down, you'll end up with grease in your beer.

I had that same problem when I half-ass cleaned a newly acquired corny. There was crusty soda syrup dried on the inside of the dip tube. After I got a 1/4" long nylon brush, I found out how much crap was actually in there.

Back