Killing an infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ascbrew

Reaction score
I made a strawberry cyser in decemeber. It was done in a couple weeks, then I racked to secondary. It was fine until I checked it yesterday and there is a slime / bubbles that dont pop. I am certain its an infection. What should I do to save this cyser? Its about 12.5% ABV.

i dont have a camera at the moment. It looks alot like a brett infection. What would be the best way of killing this problem?

Have you used any sulfites? Even if you have, you may have not used enough on the strawberries.

I'd crush one campden tablet per gallon, and put that in a new sanitized carboy and then rack very carefully from under the scum and see if you can halt it that way.

i have never used sulfites, and ive made over 150 gals over the past 2 years. Do the sulfites dissappear after a while, sulfites make my face cherry red.

i have never used sulfites, and ive made over 150 gals over the past 2 years. Do the sulfites dissappear after a while, sulfites make my face cherry red.

Yes, they disapate over time, that's why they have to be re-added. But if you're allergic to them (which is very rare) then that's not a good plan!

Back