Is this safe for starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMBUCA

Reaction score
This is left over wort from a batch I did 2 weeks ago. It came straight from the kettle, cooled and right to my fridge. Can I use it for my starter? It smells sweet (not a bad smell)

beer.jpg

I personally would not risk it, it may be fine but maybe not. A scoop of DME will whip you up a new starter in no time!

I'd boil it at least 15 minutes, then cool, oxygenate and pitch. We all work under sanitary conditions, not sterile (actually I tell a lie I pressure cook my starter wort so it is sterile). The fact that there are no overt signs of infection doesn't mean there isn't already a growing population of bacteria and wild yeast in there that will happily take off once you raise the temperature for your starter.

GT

What enderwig said. I use DME for starters. There's no need or advantage to using "real" wort for a starter unless you're overpitching and putting in a gallon or two of starter. Use DME, let it ferment out and settle slightly, pour off the "water" and stir up and pour in the 'sludge'.

Kal

Back