Another water report/modification question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insanim8er

Reaction score
I know this topic gets beat to death, so forgive me...

I'm trying to make sense of all this. I've have Palmer's book and when looking at his sample water report vs mine, it's not even close to the same.

Here is the link to mine:

http://www.orcity.org/sites/default/files/ccr12_0.pdf

I live in Oregon city (just outside of Portland Oregon)

I know that we have VERY SOFT water. I know my PH is about 7.8

I'm not finding any of the other stuff he has in the book in this report. Am I missing something? I can't even find the info in order to use the homebrewfriend water calculator.

I am trying to brew a Milk Stout today. I'm about to head to the LHBS to get supplies...

Can someone please help me figure this out?

I'm doing the Milk Stout Left Hand Clone:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/left-hand-milk-stout-clone-131008/

Thanks to whoever can answer this within a reasonable time - I really appreciate it.

I would call the person in charge of the muni water. They probably have a ton of info that doesn't get reported. In your case, just the things the feds require. They very likely have a lab that does daily tests and can provide you with the info needed if you ask. My report is far more complete and provides everything I need. But, I've also had some good interaction with the manager.

Soft water isn't bad cuz it didn't go thru a softener (SALT) and is easily adjustable.. if you know how to do the work with Brunners spreadsheet. My mind is to aged to figure it out. I need a true primer on that one :)

Unfortunately some municipalities dont provide all of the information we as homebrewers need. This is the case in my area....however, there is an easy solution to this (but it wont help you today)

Send off a water sample to Ward laboratories......go to their website...it is only $16.50 for the W-6 test and will give you all the data on your water that you need.

Thanks... I just picked up some 52 stabilizer for this batch. I'll get my detailed report on Monday if they have it. If not, I'll have it analyzed

The report you have linked is not a complete report. My city had the same thing and I just emailed the guy that runs the water department and he emailed me everything I needed to know.

Also I highly recommend reading this thread in Brewing Science section called the Brewing Water Chemistry Primer. It really simplifies what can be a very difficult subject. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/

Thanks... I just picked up some 52 stabilizer for this batch. I'll get my detailed report on Monday if they have it. If not, I'll have it analyzed

I really don't recommend using 5.2 stabilizer. I did not like the results I got with it. My hop profiles were greatly attenuated using that stuff. Also my beer tasted salty. There are a couple of water chemistry scientists on this site that say not to use it.

If you do all grain I recommend that you just learn the science. It is somewhat mind numbing but you will learn it and you will brew better beer. Read the brewing water chemistry primer linked above.

Many experienced brewers don't recommend 5.2 FWIW.

Also, as phuff said.. most municipalities DO perform a pretty detailed analysis' but just don't put everything in the report. Ya just have to make a phone call.. or as phuff said.. email them requesting the info you want/need

Back