BREAKTHROUGH! How to brew beer in 5 days!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirsloop

Reaction score
461111260_9JLSD-X3.jpg

:drunk::drunk::drunk: or not.

Gotta be the worst idea ever! Maybe not... but if I started this way, I would have given up on brewing good beer a long time ago!

That's funny! I woke up this morning actually thinking about using my coffee maker for testing different grain mixes. It would be cheaper than screwing up a whole batch and kinda fun experiment.

Ya, the actual coffee machine idea is not terrible (if you can maintain temps)- the rest, however, eh, not so much

Scary to think he was the brewmaster. I figured the coffee maker would be like using a self contained MLT and batch sparging. I think I'm going to give it a shot this week. I'll just have to use some dry yeast instead of wasting a smackpack. I'll use a growler for a carboy.

Anyone else want to try?

That's funny! I woke up this morning actually thinking about using my coffee maker for testing different grain mixes. It would be cheaper than screwing up a whole batch and kinda fun experiment.

You may be on to something there. I'd like to test my pot with a therm to see if the temps are as the article says. It would be a good way to do some experiments where you change just one ingredient.

You may be on to something there. I'd like to test my pot with a therm to see if the temps are as the article says. It would be a good way to do some experiments where you change just one ingredient.

Exactly my thought. Testing different grain ratios, etc. Even down to which hops.

It's what happens after it's brewed that makes me squick. Let it sit in mason jars for 5 days with cheesecloth and then drink it with no carbing it. :p

It's what happens after it's brewed that makes me squick. Let it sit in mason jars for 5 days with cheesecloth and then drink it with no carbing it. :p

Those directions are SCARY. I'm just going to use the coffee maker for the mash and sparging. Everything after the sparge would be as we normally do -
I'm going to use a growler for the primary, etc...

I'm gonna go high gravity... 1.100 coffee pot IPA. I'm checking my Krups coffee maker... so far it looks like the water comes out at 170°F it keeps the liquid at 154°F!!! HAHAHA! Go figure! Maybe I'll do a couple 30min mashes and boil it down. I got a refractometer now so I should be able to check the OG. I have a gallon jug i'll use for primary. Pics are a must.

I'm gonna go high gravity... 1.100 coffee pot IPA. I'm checking my Krups coffee maker... so far it looks like the water comes out at 170°F it keeps the liquid at 154°F!!! HAHAHA! Go figure! Maybe I'll do a couple 30min mashes and boil it down. I got a refractometer now so I should be able to check the OG. I have a gallon jug i'll use for primary. Pics are a must.

Sweet - +1 on the pics. I'm going to go take pictures of eagle tomorrow morning, so I won't be able to start til the afternoon.

Beerpressure - I have an airlock that will fit my growler.

OOoo... false readings...

the water comes out at 170, then after a little while I noticed the temps went up to like 174! I guess through the mash I'll have to keep an eye on where its at. Good thing is that it comes out at 170 so I should hit my temps. I can adjust the temps up by turning the thing on/off.

Nice site! Great Pics! Thanks for sharing.

I can't say it's a hobby yet. I love doing it and am lucky enough to live in one of the most beautiful places on earth. I hope to turn it into a hobby though. The eagles come down here from AK and Canada when the rivers freeze up north. I'll see if I can find a pic sans telephoto.

Everything seemed like it might fly in an effort to make mediocre (at best) beer, until it got to the baker's yeast part. From what I gather, baker's yeast makes some serious swill on a good day, and it's not sterile (ie: there's probably Brett, lacto, and other undesirables in there).

OOoo... false readings...

the water comes out at 170, then after a little while I noticed the temps went up to like 174! I guess through the mash I'll have to keep an eye on where its at. Good thing is that it comes out at 170 so I should hit my temps. I can adjust the temps up by turning the thing on/off.

I can't believe how close that is to what we need.

Wait, are you mashing at 170?

No. Just that it is closer than I thought it would be. I was guessing the temp would be around 190. I'm thinking of bringing it down by adding cold water right before the pot starts sending it upwards. I'll have to play with it to get it right.

Cool, Fingers, you in too?

Afraid not. I was supposed to buy myself a Barley Crusher for Christmas but life got in the way. As a result I don't have any grain on hand. I live about 60 miles from my HBS so it's not going to happen any time soon. I'll live vicariously through you guys. :mug:

Afraid not. I was supposed to buy myself a Barley Crusher for Christmas but life got in the way. As a result I don't have any grain on hand. I live about 60 miles from my HBS so it's not going to happen any time soon. I'll live vicariously through you guys. :mug:

Sorry to hear that. Any suggestions would be welcome

Well I left the pot on for like the last 90 minutes and it seems to come out at 170ish which is perfect for strike water temps, then raise up to 174ish after a while. The grain *should cool that down in the 150's. I'll keep my thermostat on an alarm at like 155° and keep the temp around that area for 30 minutes or so. I'll brew up some sparge water batch sparge the entire thing through this strainer I have. I figure like 4 sparges and I should have exhausted the grain pretty good. I'll boil the **** out of it, dump in some hops, sink cool it, and add some saison yeast slurry I have kickin around. Should make a belgian IPA! HAHA!

lol... this isn't going to be any spectacular brew or anything. Gonna be a fun project to say that I brewed a beer outta a coffee pot! HAHA! I'll probably add some dextrose to juice it up a little... and some special B to give it some color.

I think keeping the mash temp will be super hard depending on what type of coffee pot you have (ie if it is glass)

Yeah, its only gotta be 30 minutes so I figure I can get it close enough. We're not talkin about gold medal beer, we're talking about drinkable outta a coffe pot mash tun. HAHA! It'll be ok as long as we keep it under like 165F

Well I left the pot on for like the last 90 minutes and it seems to come out at 170ish which is perfect for strike water temps, then raise up to 174ish after a while. The grain *should cool that down in the 150's. I'll keep my thermostat on an alarm at like 155° and keep the temp around that area for 30 minutes or so. I'll brew up some sparge water batch sparge the entire thing through this strainer I have. I figure like 4 sparges and I should have exhausted the grain pretty good. I'll boil the **** out of it, dump in some hops, sink cool it, and add some saison yeast slurry I have kickin around. Should make a belgian IPA! HAHA!

I actually filled my basket with cheerios (just for absorbtion and to see how much it would cool) and I got down to 159 - grain should actually reduce it more than the cheerios.

I'm going to do the same as you - I'm going to use some british pale and a little roasted barley. Goldings and some dry windsor.

I have a 1.080 or bigger big beer night in three weeks for our homebrew club. Maybe i'll try to have it brewed, bottled, and carbed by then! HAHAH

Back