Obnoxiously high OG reading. What could have caused it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkpdogg

Reaction score
I was brewing a Stout kit from MoreBeer! last night and took an OG reading of 1.102 at 25-deg C (roughly 77-deg F). With a temp adjustment, it would be 1.104. The recipe suggests an OG of 1.057. Now I have read quite a bit on HBT on OG readings that are off by .010's, .020's and felt that I understood the reasons pretty well. Do you all know what the heck would cause a reading THIS far off? BTW, I did double-check the hydrometer to make sure it read 1.000 in plain water.

im not sure if this is AG or extract but if extract you might not have gotten all of your wort and your additional water stirred up well. im not sure man that's a long way off though

If it was an extract recipe, did you thoroughly mix the top-off water? You could be measuring a real thick, concentrated portion of the wort if it wasn't mixed totally. I made the same mistake on my first brew.

Oh goodness, I'm just realizing what an idiot I am ... I took it from the brewpot after it cooled. Duh!!! Ugh, such are the pains of being a noob. =P

Thanks for the help!

Ahhhh yes. Thanks B! What a waste of my engineering degree, eh? Nothing like a little impatience to shut my brain down. Adjusted reading is 1.062 (used 1.000 for top off water), right where it should be, and that sucker started bubbling up tonight. I will sleep well. :rockin:

Back