Woodchuck amber clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chromedome

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe that ends up tasteing like woodchuck amber? Ive tried different recipes but the finished product always tastes like apple wine. I want to brew a cider that has alot of apple flavor without being super sweet. Thanks, chromedome

+1 me too. i have looked high and low for a woodcheck (regular) clone and cant. Apparently it is hard to clone ciders from what i have read

The reason it's difficult is because there is almost no way to know/get the exact apple combonation used in each manufacturer's juice. and it's especally hard for a homebrewer to make much of the north-american commercial ciders, as they are sparkling and sweet. The Woodchuck "Granny Smith" (which is my least favorite) would probably be the one you'd be able to clone the easiest, as it says it's made from just granny smith apples. I'd think the way to duplicate this recepie would be to get a bunch of granny smith juice, Ferment it out using a nutrial yeast (notty, or 1118, or champaigne), stabalize it, water it down to about 5% abv using an apple juice and water mixture (not sure on the amounts), and force carb it. this would probably get you pretty close, but I don't know why you'd want to duplicate anything but the woodchuck 808 dark and dry (the only one I can stand by them).

Yeah, I used to like woodchucks more, I mean I will still drink them on occasion since my friend loves them. But these days the only thing I could buy would be their 808, and that's probably a 6 pack once or twice a year.

I personally like strongbow a lot better, plus its on tap at the local Irish pub. Its still no homebrew or true dry English but its good in my book.

Back