apfelwine / apfelvinegar :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I ve had 2 batches turn into complete vinegar! it sucks! wTF! My first batch came out GREAT! the next 2 i have done exactly the same thing, and its sucked....

will it maybe be less vinegary in a year?

How's your sanitation? Simply using cider rather than juice won't necessarily (and probably shouldn't) result in vinegar. You need an acetobacter infection to get vinegar.

How's your sanitation? Simply using cider rather than juice won't necessarily (and probably shouldn't) result in vinegar. You need an acetobacter infection to get vinegar.

There are also some brett strains that can produce acetic acid. But, I would suspect the bacteria infection first. In either case, to get acetic acid from ethanol the bacteria need a supply of oxygen too....something else to check.

my sanitation is pretty good. (my second ever batch of beer, was an epic disaster) I think what the problem is, I used fresh cider, instead of costco cider! :(

Possibly check your equipment to make sure its not leaking, there shouldn't be enough oxygen for the alcohol to convert to vinegar in the carboy from my understanding by i could be wrong. Also try to reduce aeration of the wine when bottling if I am right. Also what was said before about pasteurization could be a part of it too.

If you use fresh cider, you should stabilize it with something like metasulfites then pitch a few days later.

I think this is correct never done it myself, but I've read it in numerous books.

Campden tablets, crush one per gallon when you put the juice in the carboy. Wait 24 hours then pitch your yeast.

Empty Bottle Man, oxygen doesn't cause vinegar, acetobacteria do it. They eat the alcohol molecules and turn it into vinegar.

claphamsa, do you ever get any fruit flies? They are swarming with acetobacteria all over their filthy little bodies, and just one managing to get into the carboy can ruin a batch.

Well, I'm betting it was in the unpasteurized cider. Like someone else said, if you do it again, just crush (and dissolve) one campden tablet per gallon, keep covered, then 12-24 hours later you can pitch the yeast.

And don't forget to resanatise really well, if not to steralise the carboy(s) that resulted in the vinegar. The last thing you want is for it to carry over into next batch...

Oh and cider vinegar is great for cooking with, and for making salad dressings
(Though you may have an excessive amount)

Back