Gas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But they are indeed expensive.That's not entirely true - if people are buying the shaved tires, they're doing so because they'll get more usable performance out of them than a full-tread tire. The last set of tires on my Mustang I got shaved because all of my full-tread sets are quite disappointing after I get them just a bit worn in. Due to all the wiggle and the compound breaking down and all that good stuff.

We're not exactly talking about racetrack tires. These are all extreme performance summer tires. The RT615 isn't a shaved tire, it's a tire that just has less tread. Of course it gives the same effect, but with other tires, there's the option of getting more mileage out of them, and we're talking merely from a price point.

Course you do know that Tires have an expected wear rating right?

200-300 is Ultra high performance tires
300-400 Med
400-500 low

As far as I remember

Wear ratings are manufacturer specific and occasionally vary with the tire line. One make's wear rating of 400 can easily be less than another's rating of 200.

We're not exactly talking about racetrack tires.
True, I'm just pointing out that there are unique situations where the lower tread depth is advantageous, even on a street car. My car + my driving habits being a specific example.

True, I'm just pointing out that there are unique situations where the lower tread depth is advantageous, even on a street car. My car + my driving habits being a specific example.

They certainly are, but if I were to the point of getting shaved tires, I'd probably be looking for something a little better than the Falkens.

Why are we still arguing about tires? Oh, wait this thread is about gas and the compressed air in the tires is a gas..... Ah-ha, never mind you guys are definately on topic.

Why are we still arguing about tires? Oh, wait this thread is about gas and the compressed air in the tires is a gas..... Ah-ha, never mind you guys are definately on topic.
Quite down over there! I can't hear myself think!
They certainly are, but if I were to the point of getting shaved tires, I'd probably be looking for something a little better than the Falkens.
There's a middle ground there, IMHO.

yeah, it's about gas. Here's some good news.

America is getting its first new refinery in decades in South Dakota.
http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2008/06/04/news/top/4e608d46402d5adb8625745e00110beb.txt

The bad news is just this week politicians tried to lift our self imposed ban on drilling offshore in the 50-200 mile range and our illustrious assclowns in office voted it down. Of course it when down party lines. Meanwhile China is drilling off the coast of Cuba and Mexico is drilling too and reaping the benefits.

Time for a Chuck Norris Smack Down!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why in South Dakota, of all places? Shouldn't refineries be closer to where the oil comes in? Think of the gasoline it'll take to get the crude up there to refine it!

Why in South Dakota, of all places? Shouldn't refineries be closer to where the oil comes in? Think of the gasoline it'll take to get the crude up there to refine it!

Either you truck crude to the area or gasoline, is there really a difference. That refinery could supply that surrounding area....besides the oil is coming from Canada via proposed pipeline.

This will create jobs in the area and I don't think it is a very good idea to build all of the refineries around central areas, what would happen if there was a natural disaster (or god forbid a terrorist attack) in one of those areas which could potentially close several refineries.

Here is the funny thing about the "new" oil reserves in North Dakota and South Dakota. In the early 1980's my family moved out to eastern Montana and my dad worked oil fields in North Dakota. When I was a kid I always thought the oil was gone and that's why we didn't stay there long, but looking back I think they quit when cheaper sources of oil were found overseas.

4.56/gallon down here in San Diego! Whoo! And this is the cheapest. When I was in Humboldt I was paying about 20 cents more.

Hey, I'm from behind the redwood curtain too! I transfered from CR to UCSD and haven't felt a need to leave.
Just you never mind the "when's" on all that.

When I compare notes with my dad, it seems that SD and Eureka are always about the same, and at the high end of the state.

Welll in defense of the scooter riding...
Absolute minimum insurance coverage for my car was over $1200 a year. Full coverage for the scooter with a tiny deductible $250 for the year. Pretty decent savings there already. The money I have been saving in gas every week pays for my insignificant monthly payment on the scooter. Im not saying everyone should sell there vehicles and buy scooters obviously. The same mode of transportation is not going to be the same for everyone.

You make a very valid point. If you read up on hypermiling, that's one of the things they do to save fuel. As long as you stay in the left lane and stay at the minimum posted speed on the freeway it's totally legal. (You'll probably get honked at and flipped off all day long, but at least your saving gas).

-1 on you and your hypermiling *****ery (ok, maybe not you :mug:). If some jack off is doing 45 mph on the left lane on the Parkway, he's going to have half my brush guard in his trunk... but I digress. Hypermiling is just the cool new hip word that means conservative driving. Slow down naturally to a stop light (try not to use your brakes), don't peel off the line, etc.

In NJ (or at least the parts I've been in), there is rarely (if any) minimum posted speed limit. People driving too slow, especially in the left lane, are going to cause just as many problems as those who speed. We could all probably use to slow down a little bit, but there was a story on tv about a hypermiler saying "If the speed limit is 45, who says I need to go 45, I'll go 25!". That guy deserves a brush guard in his trunk...

-1 on you and your hypermiling *****ery (ok, maybe not you :mug:). If some jack off is doing 45 mph on the left lane on the Parkway, he's going to have half my brush guard in his trunk... but I digress. Hypermiling is just the cool new hip word that means conservative driving. Slow down naturally to a stop light (try not to use your brakes), don't peel off the line, etc.

In NJ (or at least the parts I've been in), there is rarely (if any) minimum posted speed limit. People driving too slow, especially in the left lane, are going to cause just as many problems as those who speed. We could all probably use to slow down a little bit, but there was a story on tv about a hypermiler saying "If the speed limit is 45, who says I need to go 45, I'll go 25!". That guy deserves a brush guard in his trunk...

I will go back and correct my post to read minimum legal speed in the right lane. You are absolutely right that someone should not be slowing down the left lane, even to the speed limit. But if people want to go the speed limit in the Right lane we can go around them. I think I was drunk when I said left lane.

EDIT: Disregard, because I can't find that particular post.

I will go back and correct my post to read minimum legal speed in the right lane. You are absolutely right that someone should not be slowing down the left lane, even to the speed limit. But if people want to go the speed limit in the Right lane we can go around them. I think I was drunk when I said left lane.

EDIT: Disregard, because I can't find that particular post.

I've got np with the speed limit and those who follow it. I know I'd get better MPG if I went 55 instead of 65 and 65 instead of 75. :mug:

142.9 a liter and it is expected to go up by 5 cents tonight here in Gods country.

Good news ( if you can believe it) is that according to what an employee of Chevron
told me today that prices will plummet later in the year. But that don't help us now.

I've got np with the speed limit and those who follow it. I know I'd get better MPG if I went 55 instead of 65 and 65 instead of 75. :mug:

Conservative driving will help you save lots of gas, and most likely can prevent car accidents. Hypermiling on the other hand seems dangerous.

Following these conservative driving tips I get +8mpg in my mazda 3:
  • Don't tailgate.
  • Accelerate slowly.
  • Obey the speed limits.
  • Change your driving habits so that you rarely use the brakes.
  • Take advantage of hills when going downhill.
  • Pay attention to driving conditions. Take the foot off the gas when you notice traffic slowing down.
Of course I stick to the right lanes on the highway and let those who want to waste gas go ahead. Often I will pass the speeders several minutes later when traffic slows to a crawl.

Back