How much priming sugar per bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max4677

Reaction score
I am in the process of making Northern Brewer's Chinook IPA. Well sort of, they removed the kit due to the shortage and I am just using Simcoe in place of Chinook to see what happens... Anywho...

I have about 1.5 cups of priming sugar left over from previous kits and would like to make a couple of six packs and dump the rest into a keg.

How much sugar per bottle should I use? I know it's generally 3/4 cup per 5 gallons if you bottle it all and less if you use a party pig. I'd like to just measure out a certain amount and drop it in the bottle.

I guess the alternative is to toss the sugar in the boil to add a little more food for the yeast and just get priming tabs, but that just seems like more money for no real good reason.

Cheers!

sidenote... hrmm I think my celebration and haznelnut clones are a bit more abv than I thought. 2 of them and I am feeling it. I still have a glass of Glenfiddich waiting for me!

See http://kotmf.com/tools/prime.php

For 12oz bottles, it should be about 2.25g/bottle. I did a small bottling a while back (about 12 bottles). I have a small 5ml syringe, so I measured out enough sugar for about 15 bottles, added water to make 75ml, then nuked it to boil (make sure you don't boil over). I then measured out 5ml for each bottle. Worked good, and it was easy to neatly get it into the bottle without spilling. If you can't do it that way, I think that about 1/2 tsp sugar per bottle will do it. Regular table sugar is 4.2g/tsp.

Last time I bottled a few beers out of a batch, I added 3/4 tsp to each 12oz bottle and 1.5tsp to 22oz bottles and everything turned out great.

Phew, here I thought I was going to have some bottle bombs. I transferred my oatmeal stout to secondary today and had screwed up originally and made it closer to 6 gallons. I had 7 12oz bottles of beer left over after transferring (had the bottles nearby since I knew it would be close) but didn't have a clue as to how much sugar to add. I just used table sugar since I didn't want to open the corn sugar sealed packet. To some I added 1tsp, to others either 3/4 or 1/2 tsp (and then promptly put them into an empty 1/2 case in no order, doh!). It looked like a lot of sugar and so I was worried I'd come home to some bombs (I really don't care if these bottles are good since they were really close to the trub), now it looks like at worst I'll be slightly undercarbed. Thanks for the post (first search thread that came up).

Cheers!

I have been googleing this for about three days this is the first thread i have found that actually says use about 1/2 tsp per bottle on all the other threads i have found from google just say don't do it by the bottle do it all at once then bottle the ones that do say how much only tell you how many grams to use and i don't know about you but i don't have a scale that does grams and i am no good at math and don't now how to convert weight to volume so thank you very much for this information

Is it sufficient to bring water to a boil in a kettle, add this to whatever small volume of sugar you need, and then distribute evenly from there? This wouldn't directly boil the sugar itself, but I think it'd at least get the sugar to pasteurization temperatures...

I'm just trying to see if I can come up with a good way to deal with the quite small amount of sugar I'd need if I was only to bottle up one sixer...

If you can figure out a way to "evenly distribute", sure. I think that batch priming is easier though.

M_C
Is it sufficient to bring water to a boil in a kettle, add this to whatever small volume of sugar you need, and then distribute evenly from there? This wouldn't directly boil the sugar itself, but I think it'd at least get the sugar to pasteurization temperatures...

I'm just trying to see if I can come up with a good way to deal with the quite small amount of sugar I'd need if I was only to bottle up one sixer...

Coopers Carbonation Drops. I keep a pack handy if I want to carb up a few bottles of apfelwein or something and leave the rest still. They work just fine.

oh, and...
zombie-thread.png

ChshreCat nailed it. However, on one occasion I miss capped several Blue Moon clones and didn't have any Cooper Drops. To the pantry I went and grabbed my wife's small supply of emergency sugar cubes. Each one is 3grms = close enough? Fast forward 2 weeks and they came out perfect. Even did a taste test against the properly capped/carbed ones and if there was a diff, I couldn't tell. Slainte!

little less than a half teaspoon will get you approx. 2.7 volumes, depending on how fine your sugar is and the size of crystals.
I used the Northern Brewer priming calculator not long ago and got about the same thing. OP - Bottle bombs are really dangerous. I suggest using that calculator (Homebrew Priming Sugar Calculator) or one of the others and figure it for yourself.

Back