Craft beer has officialy died

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timrox1212

Reaction score
image-3454353064.jpg

Hanson brothers brewery aka Hanson from the 90's

I appreciate the humor of the mmmbop kids making beer, but I don't see how this means craft beer is dead. I think that's giving them way too much credit. Their marketing people, however, should probably be shot.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f5/hanson-launching-mmmhop-beer-yes-boy-band-hanson-284388/

Congratulations on starting thread #7 on this topic :p

All kidding aside, this is a little bit disgusting. I'm not sure what market they think they are appealing to by associating their beer with a $#!tty song from a has-been boy band from the 90's that was primarily popular among girls age 9-14.

I feel like the Hanson brothers would have more success not even acknowledging their identity on this new venture.

Edit: Oh wait, apparently they are still a band. I had no idea. Weird....

Hell, who knows? Maybe it's a decent brew. I don't know much about those guys, other than the song, but there are much worse things they coulda put their name on.

Hey, as crappy as Hansen's music was, you have to respect that they played their own instruments and weren't autotuned, which is more than you can say for 75% of today's Top 40.

1997 wasn't exactly a banner year for musical creativity. The #1 song was Elton John remaking his own song Candle In The Wind.

And someone please explain the obsession beer brewers have with puns.

1997 wasn't exactly a banner year for musical creativity.

Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,
So tell me what you want, what you really really want,
I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,
So tell me what you want, what you really really want,
I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna really really really wanna zigazig ha.

Sincerely,

The Spice Girls

Okay, feel free to blast me for this, but I think that it's funny, and a smart bit of creativity. They get some free press this way, and likely sell a good bit more beer than they would have otherwise.

What if it's good beer? And if they are donating proceeds to charity... how can it be a bad thing?

Loosen up a bit, people. Beer doesn't only come from burly bearded men who look like they belong on a crab boat adrift somewhere in the Atlantic.

I rest my case.

Mmmbop, ba duba dop
Ba du bop, ba duba dop
Ba du bop, ba duba dop
Ba du
Yeah

Shakespearian in comparison.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f5/hanson-launching-mmmhop-beer-yes-boy-band-hanson-284388/

Congratulations on starting thread #7 on this topic :p

All kidding aside, this is a little bit disgusting. I'm not sure what market they think they are appealing to by associating their beer with a $#!tty song from a has-been boy band from the 90's that was primarily popular among girls age 9-14.

I feel like the Hanson brothers would have more success not even acknowledging their identity on this new venture.

Edit: Oh wait, apparently they are still a band. I had no idea. Weird....

This whole thread is very funny to me.

My sister fell in love with Hanson when they first came out. However, unlike almost everyone else, she never fell out of love with them. For the past fifteen years she's been traveling all over the country whenever she can to watch them play, and they play a lot.

Now I can't tell you in their music is any good now or not, but I can tell you it is pretty impressive that they have managed to stick together and continue to put out albums for so long.

Believe it or not, they manage to sell out almost everywhere they go, so they must be doing something right.

...I feel like a weirdo for knowing this much about Hanson. I might punch my sister the arm later, just on principle.

Ha, I actually think that's quite funny.

Has anyone here heard of a beer called "The Trooper"? The recipe is by the guys from Iron Maiden, I'm quite excited to try it.

Wow! My first post here on the site and this is how I'm going to make my first impression...defending Hanson. Oh well.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll catch all kinds of flak for this, but:

1) This is actually a pretty clever marketing ploy to get money for charity. The band is from Tulsa, OK so the need to raise money for the tornado ravaged area is personal to them, and many of their teeny-bopper fans from the height of their career are now prime beer drinking age.

2) I (like most of you) made fun of this band when I was in my mid 20's and "mmmbop" came out, but the band was really forced into this teeny-bop pop crap by their record label. There was actually quite a falling out, and the band left their label due to artistic differences. While I'm not a huge fan, some of their newer stuff now that they are 20-30 somethings and independent (label-free) isn't completely terrible. Some of it is actually even pretty good.

OK. Gentlemen, I am now ready to receive your wedgies and taunts.

I think they are kind of making fun of themselves with the name. Even they must know it was an awful song.

The only way to truly know if the beer is any good is to try it. I have to give them credit for doing something to help out their community. If I get a chance, I will buy some, try it out and report back but being in the suburbs of Chicago, I may never see it.

This whole thread is very funny to me.

My sister fell in love with Hanson when they first came out. However, unlike almost everyone else, she never fell out of love with them. For the past fifteen years she's been traveling all over the country whenever she can to watch them play, and they play a lot.

Now I can't tell you in their music is any good now or not, but I can tell you it is pretty impressive that they have managed to stick together and continue to put out albums for so long.

Believe it or not, they manage to sell out almost everywhere they go, so they must be doing something right.

...I feel like a weirdo for knowing this much about Hanson. I might punch my sister the arm later, just on principle.

"Sister". Riiiiiiiight. ;)

Wow! My first post here on the site and this is how I'm going to make my first impression...defending Hanson. Oh well.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll catch all kinds of flak for this, but:

1) This is actually a pretty clever marketing ploy to get money for charity. The band is from Tulsa, OK so the need to raise money for the tornado ravaged area is personal to them, and many of their teeny-bopper fans from the height of their career are now prime beer drinking age.

2) I (like most of you) made fun of this band when I was in my mid 20's and "mmmbop" came out, but the band was really forced into this teeny-bop pop crap by their record label. There was actually quite a falling out, and the band left their label due to artistic differences. While I'm not a huge fan, some of their newer stuff now that they are 20-30 somethings and independent (label-free) isn't completely terrible. Some of it is actually even pretty good.

OK. Gentlemen, I am now ready to receive your wedgies and taunts.

#1 is completely wrong. I heard about this beer somewhere around 2 years ago (or quite awhile ago, anyways). It was in no way developed for the need to raise money for charity related to that Oklahoma tornado.

I say at least give it a shot. I thought we learned long ago from the BMC guys that a clever (or crappy) marketing campaign has zero to do with the quality of the product in the bottle.

And if you would pan a product because there is ample evidence that it was in development before the natural disasters, consider this ... That might, and I say MIght, increase the chance that it's a better product. What would you rather have? A product that had been in development for a couple of years, that sees an opportunity to do some good when its about to launch? Or a beer that was rushed to market for non beer purposes?

I've given a lot of unknown beers a shot because of nothing more than a cool label. Sometimes the beer is complete crap. Sometimes I've been pleasantly surprised.

I figure its worth a try. I live in OK so I'll likely be able to find it. This state has seen a number if great breweries pop up in the last few years. If it's a contract brew, I am hoping it's from one of the local brewers.

homebrewdad said:
Okay, feel free to blast me for this, but I think that it's funny, and a smart bit of creativity. They get some free press this way, and likely sell a good bit more beer than they would have otherwise.

What if it's good beer? And if they are donating proceeds to charity... how can it be a bad thing?

Loosen up a bit, people. Beer doesn't only come from burly bearded men who look like they belong on a crab boat adrift somewhere in the Atlantic.

I support this comment. I am not just a beer nerd but a general nerd as well and I am used to the fan boy negativity involved with being a troll about whatever the nerd is fanatical about. I don't think that kind of attitude is appropriate for brewers who should be more inclusive and positive in general.

They've supposedly been brewing for a while now, the fact that its an IPA gives hope for it. If they wanted to make something crappy for the masses, wouldn't it have likely been an amber ale or something similar?

Back