Growing a Scoby...or trying to.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlynge

Reaction score
I started about a week ago with a bottle of GT's original. I poured that into a freshly made sweet tea mixture in a one quart mason jar. All I can see is yeast activity on the bottom of the jar. Much like brewing beer. I am still lacking any type of formation or activity on the top of the liquid. What are your thoughts?

I read through it....I just checked today and I am beginning to have some growth on top. I have moved the jar out of the closet and placed it on top of the fridge. I have the opportunity to have one shopped to me from someone on here but I am not sure about it yet. All they are asking is for the shipping of 6.97. I wonder how it will compare to a home grown scoby.

I have the opportunity to have one shopped to me from someone on here but I am not sure about it yet. All they are asking is for the shipping of 6.97. I wonder how it will compare to a home grown scoby.

Shared scoby should have no issues. You could also put an ad on Craigslist, if one for your area, and I bet you would find one for free. Hopefully you will have your scoby soon.

Yeaah, my scoby took about 4 weeks or so to form, just give it time & don't jostle it around too much!!

Back