2nd batch airlock not bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My husband is a guinness man and we thought we would try a stout brew. Our first brew of american ale turned out very strong! Has good carbonation but hardly no head. So my questions are why is my airlock not bubbling on my stout and why did my ale not have a head. Thanks

Um, did you pitch yeast? Just kidding,.......airlock activity doesn't always have to happen. I'm sure it will be fine. How long has it been since you pitched?

Head could rely on a number of things. Pour, ingredients, carbonation levels, temp...What was the recipe and bottling process?

^What he said.

Airlock activity or non-activity means nothing for the most part. ~50% of my batches don't have any airlock activity but they all attenuate out fine.

As far as the no head question, could be a number of things but what was your recipe?

These are two different question and neither has enough information for us to help. With the latest we need to know yeast strain, aeration, temperature at pitching, temperature at which the fermenter is stored, etc.

With the headless beer, was it all grain or extract? If all grain we need to see your recipe. Also, are you saying that with a pour there was no head evident at all, or that it had a small head that dissipated quickly? All of these are parts of an assortment of problems that could cause this.

These are two different question and neither has enough information for us to help. With the latest we need to know yeast strain, aeration, temperature at pitching, temperature at which the fermenter is stored, etc.

With the headless beer, was it all grain or eixtract? If all grain we need to see your recipe. Also, are you saying that with a pour there was no head evident at all, or that it had a small head that dissipated quickly? All of these are parts of an assortment of problems that could cause this.

Made this stout about 12 hours ago.
On the stout the yeast was nottingham, the temp at pitch was about 78degrees, the temp the fermenter is at is 78. it was an all grain kit . It Has been a bit more difficult than the first american ale kit.
On the headless beer which is the ameican ale, has no head retention at all. It is fizzy but no head

It may take a day or two to see activity in the airlock if at all. Be patient.

Addendum: I have very rarely ever seen activity in an airlock or blowoff in 12 hours or less. Maybe two or three times out of 50 some batches.

Made this stout about 12 hours ago.
On the stout the yeast was nottingham, the temp at pitch was about 78degrees, the temp the fermenter is at is 78. it was an all grain kit . It Has been a bit more difficult than the first american ale kit.
On the headless beer which is the ameican ale, has no head retention at all. It is fizzy but no head

Air lock activity or lack of doesn't mean its not fermenting. You need a hydrometer to determine that and if its in a bucket it might not bubble through the air lock at all as those arnt always air tight.

Another thing is 78 degrees is way too warm for that yeast. Get that down to the mid 60s or your beer will suffer

Air lock activity or lack of doesn't mean its not fermenting. You need a hydrometer to determine that and if its in a bucket it might not bubble through the air lock at all as those arnt always air tight.

Another thing is 78 degrees is way too warm for that yeast. Get that down to the mid 60s or your beer will suffer

The gravity on the hydrometer read at 9%.... Just moved the fermenter bucket to the back room..
On my first batch the airlock went nuts! It was bubbling constantly... It seems my bucket is sealed...

You're reading the wrong scale. Read the one marked off with 10,20,30,40,etc with smaller lines in between those read as 2,4,6,8.

OG is Original Gravity (starting gravity). FG is Final Gravity,or gravity when it's done. Gravity of water @ 60 or 66F depending on model,is expressed as 1.000. If you read "26",then that would be expressed as "1.026" the way the numbers run. As I said,the numbers after 1.000 run as 10,20,30,40,etc up to 100,expresses as 1.100. So you add a zero after the decimal point on numbers before you reach 100. iow,1."0"26.

Back