Best Brewing software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats the best brewing software to make recipes?

This is a rather vague question and there is a plethora of responses.

What system are you looking to run this on: Mac, PC, Android, iPad, etc?
Or perhaps you want a web based system?

Do you want something that is free, or are you willing to pay? If you want to buy, what is your budget?

Providing this type of information might be a bit more helpful.

Those are my thoughts.

Mark

I asked this question once. Then I tried some free things and then I tried the free version of beersmith and then I paid for beersmith. Just one mans experience though.

One could always just learn the equations for calculating gravity, IBUs and SRM. I did that for a bit. It was fun/interesting although not a super efficient use of my time.

As someone who was a software developer in a previous life, I've tried out all that I have come across (and built my own spreadsheets in Excel with the various formulae). My favorite, hands-down, is BeerSmith. However, I feel the need to point out for the record, that although I tested a demo of BeerSmith 2, I find it too clunky and prefer the original version (even though v2 does a little bit more).

As someone who was a software developer in a previous life, I've tried out all that I have come across (and built my own spreadsheets in Excel with the various formulae). My favorite, hands-down, is BeerSmith. However, I feel the need to point out for the record, that although I tested a demo of BeerSmith 2, I find it too clunky and prefer the original version (even though v2 does a little bit more).

Yea, I stuck with v2 but I'm still not happy with the UI. I did like v1 usibility better too.

I've just been using BrewPal on my iPhone and think it is awesome for the actual brewtime process. I downloaded Brewsmith 2.1 for some help with designing recipes and find it to be a complete disaster. It seems full-featured enough, but incredibly clunky to use. In addition, the iPhone version is terrible for tracking your brew day. I'm still searching...

Beer Alchemy is good for Mac folks. Just came out with version 2 & fixed some things. It is not perfect & I use BeerSmith2, as well. I do like the interface for Beer Alchemy better, though. There is also a nice iPhone app for Beer Alchemy. The iPhone app for BeerSmith is not as functional for me.

I use Brew target. I find it Ok but I'm not always happy with how it interprets the recipe. I've started doing many of my calculations by hand (yes I'm a nerd) to get a better understanding of what I can expect. I think I will try the beersmith trial once I find some time.
I've been trying to get the brewtarget source to open so I can modify it to more my needs but have had no luck so far.

Back