Forgot to put water in air lock! Doh!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samsdaddy

Reaction score
Hi Beer Monsters,
I'm brand new to Home Brewing but very keen to learn more. I read lots of reviews on beer kits for newbies and one seemed to keep cropping up......I managed to lay my hands on some Woodforde's Wherry and mixed the kit up as per the instructions yesterday.
I looked at it today and noticed that I had completely forgotten to put some water/vodka in the airlock (lesson #1 Don't brew when you're in a rush to get to the pub) Anyway, I was wondering if this will have ruined the batch? Luckily I have another kit to start as a backup for the Christmas brew so I'm not overly concerned.
Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Wils

Thanks

Nah nothing's ruined. There's air in there until the active fermentation resultant co2 pushes it out, and by then the surface is probably covered with co2 gas. Top er up and you're good to go imo

That's great news, thanks guys, I have already put water in my I shall swap it for vodka today. I'm starting the other batch tonight regardless. It's going to be a very merry Christmas! :)

Hi Beer Monsters,
I'm brand new to Home Brewing but very keen to learn more. I read lots of reviews on beer kits for newbies and one seemed to keep cropping up......I managed to lay my hands on some Woodforde's Wherry and mixed the kit up as per the instructions yesterday.
I looked at it today and noticed that I had completely forgotten to put some water/vodka in the airlock (lesson #1 Don't brew when you're in a rush to get to the pub) Anyway, I was wondering if this will have ruined the batch? Luckily I have another kit to start as a backup for the Christmas brew so I'm not overly concerned.
Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Wils

Thanks

The biggest concern you should have is not the airlock, it's that you haven't started that second batch yet! It doesn't tend to last very long around here.

christpuncher123 said:
The biggest concern you should have is not the airlock, it's that you haven't started that second batch yet! It doesn't tend to last very long around here.

I've just had a half pint sample from the keg in the garage!! WOW! It's already better than the Holden's shop purchased Golden Glow I've been drinking this evening!! :) this is going to be a test of my patience.... Luckily the second batch is already in the barrel....Just for info I brewed it to 20 litres and batch primed with Sainsbury's unrefined golden sugar, thanks again for your reassurance!

20L vs 23L will give a bit more body & a hair more ABV. Just keep the temps down to at least 18-20C for the ale yeast.

I have another Wherry related question... I'm trying a cold crash on a new Wherry brew (it's been in the Primary for 14 Days and got down to 1014) I plan to syphon this off into another wherry brew in a pressure barrel which is coming to its end. Has anybody ever syphoned a new brew into an existing keg with about 2 litres of an old brew remaining in the bottom? Or is the risk of infection too high?? I was going to batch prime with a warm sugar syrup boiled in a small amount of the old brew and pour this in during the siphoning....... Your opinions would be much appreciated. Cheers

Latest posts

Back