House IPA Help PLZ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
Looking to make a nice house IPA, I like em nice and DANK! This is what I have come up with so far, took some solid advice from Yooper and tweaked a bit. Anyone care to troubleshoot for me? I love Hopstoopid, FW Double Jack and the like, not looking for a DBL, just the same hop profile. To much Simcoe in this one?

Dank IPA V1
American IPA
Type: All Grain Date: 4/20/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal Brewer: Oposition Brewing Co.
Boil Size: 8.01 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My AG Setup
End of Boil Volume 6.76 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal Est Mash Efficiency 76.8 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
15 lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 93.8 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.1 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (biscuit) (Briess) (28.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.1 %
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 41.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 9.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 4.2 IBUs
0.25 oz Centennial [9.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 2.5 IBUs
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 3.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 7.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 6.5 IBUs
0.75 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 5.0 IBUs
0.75 oz Simcoe [14.10 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.40 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min

I have plenty of Centennial, Cascade, Simcoe and an oz of Chinnok to play with. All suggestions welcome. I also plan to dry hop this to death!

I like your use of simcoe. You would really have to give it a shot to see if it works as us. We will all pick it to death. I think it looks good and you shouldn't complicate the hops schedule anymore.

I would replace the simcoe with centennial or chinook, or maybe a blend, as far as dank i think that HG not HB

My only advice would be maybe to add a third pound of crystal 40 to balance the hops a bit. Also you may want to dry it out with a pound or so of corn sugar. 9/10 gorillas (geurrillas?) prefer their ipa that way.

TimTrone said:
Summit is the go to hop if you like your ipa's really dank

I disagree , I know everyone gets different flavors from different hops, but I get orange and tangerine from summit, nothing close to dank.

To the OP, I find Columbus to be dank, along with Nugget, so I think your hop schedual looks good. I would replace the Simcoe with Chinook, but I don't really like Simcoe very much

pm5k00 said:
I disagree , I know everyone gets different flavors from different hops, but I get orange and tangerine from summit, nothing close to dank.

To the OP, I find Columbus to be dank, along with Nugget, so I think your hop schedual looks good. I would replace the Simcoe with Chinook, but I don't really like Simcoe very much

I get that from summit too, but dank is most definitely in there too.

Thanks guys, I was really rethinking the simcoe today, I think I will replace it, or most of it, with centennial and chinnok.

@chickstout, sorry I don't understand the HG and HB meanings.

Anyone else thing the corn sugar is needed, if so, do I add it to the end of the boil?

My only advice would be maybe to add a third pound of crystal 40 to balance the hops a bit. Also you may want to dry it out with a pound or so of corn sugar.

I dunno, I think you are going in opposite directions with adding the crystal 40 and the corn sugar. I was coming on to suggest the corn sugar to dry is out and make the hops more pronounced. Not sure what does to the dank though.

yea, as I wrote it I was thinking that. However, the C40 will give it some color and a touch of sweetness whereas the sugar will keep the body light. I usually add the dextrose at 15 mins to flame out; usually with the whirlfloc and immersion chiller.

OK, so I think I will add the dextrose, but skip the crystal, I like the nice light color, or maybe a bit of crystal 20? Leaning towards more chinook and centennial and leaving the simcoe out all together. You guys think 50/50 split on the centennial and chinook, or heavier on one over the other? Thanks again!

Columbus, Summit, Chinook, and Centennial pellets are the most potent and dank combo I've ever come across when brewing a DIPA. Shoot for 115-140 theoretical IBUs in a 8 to 9% abv DIPA.

Mash between 146-149 F. Try not to muddle the grain bill too much. Less than 4% very light crystal is okay to use, but mainly rely on 80-90% 2-row plus another neutral grain such as 5-10% red wheat or carapils. Finish with 5-10% aromatic honey when the wort is warm, but not hot.

Bitter with a smaller amount of Columbus, then add a ton of Centennial at 10 minutes, finish with a ton of Columbus, Summit, and Chinook during a long hop stand at mid flameout, and finally use those same three hops again in the dry hop at the rate of 0.65 oz. per gallon of beer for 12 days. Be sure to make a big starter of WLP001 and ferment/condition for 4 weeks in the low to mid 60s.

You won't be disappointed.

Bobbrews, I do not have access to any Summit at the moment, so I will use the others for sure. Not looking to do a DBL IPA, just a nice dank IPA, but thanks for the assistance!

I also want to stick to the grainbill I have been using and the yeast, SD Super, to see how the hop changes from version to version go.

Realistically, a single or double IPA can each be considered 7.5 to 8% abv. depending on how much hops you add. Scale down the OG and hops a bit if you want something leaning more toward single. It's not that big of a difference.

Anyways, I posted that recipe for anyone watching this thread interested in brewing something dank.

Use honey instead of corn sugar if you're wanting to go that route (hop slam!). And try tossing an ounce or two in the mash, it creates a pretty amazing aroma.

OK, here is the completely re-tooled recipe, sans simcoe. Leaning heavily on the late additions still. Still debating the addition of the .5lb of crystal 20. Do you think I need the corn sugar to dry this out, or swing with out it, last few IPA's I have made I have not used ity and the SD Super seemed to dry the beer out just fine. BTW, this yeast is the bomb! New criticisms?

Dank IPA V1
American IPA
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
15 lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 90.9 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.0 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (biscuit) (Briess) (28.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.0 %
1.00 oz Warrior [16.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 45.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [11.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 8.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 9.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [9.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 4.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 7.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [9.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 5.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 7.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [11.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 3.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 3.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [9.90 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg San Diego Super (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 16 -

Looks like an awesome IPA to me. I'd brew it like that this weekend and report back to us with tasting notes.

Looks Super Dankalicious! I like the C20 i wouldnt go above though. HomeGrown, HomeBrewed

The malt bill is quite vapid. I suggest looking into some English malts, which are more characterful than American malts without being too over the top for an IPA. I don't really understand 3% Victory. Not that 3% will do much at all, but this is a rich nutty malt that is usually found in malty ales at least 7% of the grist. Anything nutty, malty, and sweet in high amounts will combat the bright, citrusy, bitter hops. In low amounts, it barely even matters. I would look into 8% red wheat instead of 3% Victory. By doing this, you could also eliminate the carapils.

The hop bill is quite confusing. This will yield similar or even better results in terms of dankness....

1.25 oz Warrior [16.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min
2.50 oz Centennial [9.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Columbus [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep
1.75 oz Chinook [11.80 %] - Aroma Steep
1.50 oz Columbus [13.00 %] - 12 Day Dryhop
2.50 oz Chinook [11.80 %] - 12 Day Dryhop

White Labs WLP001 Starter

ChadChaney said:
OK, here is the completely re-tooled recipe, sans simcoe. Leaning heavily on the late additions still. Still debating the addition of the .5lb of crystal 20. Do you think I need the corn sugar to dry this out, or swing with out it, last few IPA's I have made I have not used ity and the SD Super seemed to dry the beer out just fine. BTW, this yeast is the bomb! New criticisms?

Dank IPA V1
American IPA
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
15 lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 90.9 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.0 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (biscuit) (Briess) (28.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.0 %
1.00 oz Warrior [16.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 45.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [11.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 8.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 9.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [9.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 4.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 7.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [9.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 5.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 7.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [11.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 3.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 3.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [9.90 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg San Diego Super (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 16 -

This looks good. I would brew this.

@bobbrews- Nice vocabulary, vapid, not something you read on here everyday, lol. As for the malt bill, I meant to take the victory out and up the c20 just a bit. I am trying to stick to the same malt bill that I have used in the past few attempts at this style of IPA. Purposefully not being to complex right now, really want to be able to tell the difference in the hop bill before I tweak the grist. As for the English malts, not really my cup o tea for this style, although I appreciate what they can bring to the glass. Same thing for the yeast, have been using SD Super and thrilled with the outcome so I want to keep that profile the same, also quite similar to WLP001. I do appreciate the comments and suggestions! I think I am going to roll with this right now. I also totally agree with you about the wheat in the grist, gives some excellent body and retention, I make a Wit IPA that is just killer, although totally different hopping altogether. If this recipe does not do it for me, I will definitely give your suggestions a shot! Also, is Sierra Nevada actually a city/town, couldn't be lucky enough to have one of their brewers commenting on my post could I, lol. Here are a few more questions for you, if I subtract the Victory, can I increase the c20 to about 5-7% or is that to much? What do you think of Nugget in terms of dankness, just scored a pound today.. Thanks again!

Best way to add dank flavor is to add dank IMO lol let a skunk piss in your brew kettle or for 20 bucks.........*post ended for legal reasons*

LOL, DANK not SKUNK! Did you see the cartoon in beeradvocate mag, in relation to a Randall; " what does a Randall do. It infuses beer with fresh flavor through a filter before it hits the glass. Oh, sounds awesome.. Pictures; A guy with the Randall and hops, another pic w a guy and coffee beans. And the kicker... What is Heineken doing with those skunks?" LOL, LOL, good times!

Yeah I guess skunk and dank aren't the same...IN THE BREW WORLD.... had a new castle brown tonight....I think they took the "let a skunk piss in the carboy" a little too serious lmao, seriously though what brewing co would ever bottle in clear bottles...I've never had a beer and thought "you know what, its missing that great skunk flavor!"

Nice vocabulary! Also, is Sierra Nevada actually a city/town, couldn't be lucky enough to have one of their brewers commenting on my post could I, lol. Here are a few more questions for you, if I subtract the Victory, can I increase the c20 to about 5-7% or is that to much? What do you think of Nugget in terms of dankness, just scored a pound today.. Thanks again!

I was just being "facetious" (another big word) with my use of Sierra, Nevada as a location. Just your typical homebrewer here. You can certainly do that if you wish with the crystal, but I don't know that 3 & 3% vs. 0 & 6% is going to matter too much. Nugget is one of the higher oil, higher myrcene hops. It's great in an IPA, but in terms of dank, I get that more from a lot of late additions of Columbus, Chinook, and Summit. Nugget is more fruity and pleasant.

Back