Krausen blow off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kully3xf

Reaction score
Hey guys... my belgian tripel has been primary fermenting for 4 days now and i came home this morning to find my krausen had escaped thru the air lock... I thought about hooking up a blow off tube, but the krausen was only at about 4 inches and i had about 6 left in the carboy. I figured it would be ok, apparently last night it went thru a crazy period and came out of the airlock. So my question is did i handle this situation correctly...

I took a 5 gallon bucket and dropped in some star san, thru in my large diam. blowoff tube (same size as opening on carboy) and sanitized that, i quickly removed the bung and the airlock and stuck the blowoff tube into the carboy and the other end into the 5 gallon sanitizer bucket...

other than cleaning up my closet, did i jeopardize anything?

Thank ya!

You did exactly what you were supposed to do about the blow off tube. No worries. As far as the mess....consider it a lesson learned. Put a blow off tube on all your brews. Better safe than sorry.

agreed, you did everything right. any bigger beers, or more active yeast strains, you should either use a blowoff tube, or have one on standby.

Cool! I figured common sense would win this. Glad I thought it through, but of course, a preemptive offence is the best defense... or something like that.

Back