(AG) Oaked BV Porter (Silver in CA BJCP comp.)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBronco

Reaction score
I first must say that this recipe is a "changed" replica of Denny Conn's Porter recipe. Here is a link to that recipe and discussion. It is added here to keep the BVP thread free from clutter.

This brew took 2nd in the California "Gold Counties Brewers Association's" BJCP regulated competition in the Porter Category. :mug:

Yeast: 1056 American Ale

Fermentables
12.00 lbs American Two Row
2.50 lbs Gambrinus Dark Munich
1.50 lbs Hugh Baird Brown malt
1.00 lbs Great Western Crystal 120
0.50 lbs Great Western Crystal 40
1.50 lbs Hugh Baird Choclate Malt

Hop Schedule
0.50 oz Magnum Pellets (Bittering )
1.50 oz East Kent Golding (Aroma)

Other
2.00 Ea Tahitian Vanilla Bean Secondary
1 Ea Whirlfloc Tablet 5 Min
1 Ea Yeast Nutrient 5 Min
2.00 oz American Oak Chips Secondary
11.00 oz 101 Wild Turkey Burbon Secondary
1 tbsp PH stablizer Mash

NOTES:
* 90 Minute Mash @ 150* mashed at 1.25 qt/lbs
* Batch Sparge until you have enough wort for a 5 gallon 90 Minute Boil

* Split Vanilla Beans and scrape inside of beans to get out "the good stuff"
* Slice Vanilla Beans into little pieces (About 1" long)
* Put Vanilla Beans and Oak chips into 11 oz of bourbon (i used 101 Wild turkey) This kills the bacteria and lets the chips and vanilla "seep" there flavors into the bourbon. I also had the ability to keep the Bourbon in its original bottle to let it age.
* Let them Seep for 2 weeks or more, shaking it occasionally to mix everything up.
* After 2-3 weeks of primary, rack wort to Secondary over the Oaked BV (Bourbon Vanilla) Mixture. If you prefer to keep it on Primary, just pour into fermenter being careful not to splash or infect your beer.
* let sit for another 2-3 weeks and bottle or keg.
* I let my Beer age about a month before i put it into competition, but in 4-6 months it should be in its prime.

Put this beer into celebrewation 2012... Its almost a year and a half old. =) Hope it does well again!

Back