Smoked Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwAMi75

Reaction score
Anyone have a good AG recipe? For some reason, I'm wanting a smoked beer really badly. Maybe it because I just quit smoking. :D Plus, I think it'd be a great autumn beer.

Anyone got a good recipe? I'm not wanting anything as extreme as a rauchbeer, but would like some smoky character. I've had Stone's smoke porter, and didn't find it smoky at all.

Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I recently brewed a keg of a basic brown ale for a party that I flavored with chipotles in the secondary. I used the actual dried ones, not the canned ones in adobo, and put ~24 in the secondary. After 3 days I sampled and was concerned that the chipotles were going to overwhelm my beer so I siphoned to keg where it sat for ~2 weeks. The end result was not a chile-esque beer at all, but rather a smoky brown ale.

Sam,

In the September, 2005 issue of BYO on page 56, there is an AG recipe for Alaskan Smoked Porter clone from Alaskan Brewing that looks awfully good. I've been eyeing it myself! Unfortunately, it is not posted on the BYO website yet. It requires smoking 1 lb. of Munich malt with alder wood.

I'd totally forgotten about that! Thanks. I was just sitting here putting together a recipe for myself. I don't have a smoker, so I can't do that. You can buy smoked malts, though. I wonder how those compare? I read where some people like to smoke at least 50% of the grist. With only 1lb of smoked malt in the Alaskan stuff, I can't imagine it's very smoky at all. Not knowing how pungent the German smoked malts are, I came up with this:

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.25
Anticipated OG: 1.053 Plato: 13.02
Anticipated SRM: 28.8
Anticipated IBU: 25.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
53.3 6.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
35.6 4.00 lbs. Smoked(Bamberg) Germany 1.037 9
4.4 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
4.4 0.50 lbs. Crystal 105L Great Britain 1.033 105
2.2 0.25 lbs. Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 19.1 60 min.
1.00 oz. Fuggle Whole 5.00 6.8 20 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1728 Scotish Ale

I am thinking of cutting out the dark malts, and making this a smoked Scottish ale. I want it very full bodied.

if you have a BBQ grill, you have a smoker. I've smoked tons of meat in my grill even thoug it's not a 'real' smoker.

You can also find sheap in-the-kitchen, stove-top smokers for less than $30 if you shop around on-line.

-walker

I did a clone brew recipe for McEwens and it called for something like 2 oz of peat smoked malt. I tasted it the other day and it has just an aftertaste or ghost of smoke flavor in your mouth, I was very pleased with the results. If you want a smoked porter or stout you could add around 4 oz of peat smoked malt and see how it goes, if you want really smokey go to town on the stuff, but I would think 4 oz would be a pretty good dose of smoke. MPW

cbotrice said:
I did a clone brew recipe for McEwens and it called for something like 2 oz of peat smoked malt. I tasted it the other day and it has just an aftertaste or ghost of smoke flavor in your mouth, I was very pleased with the results. If you want a smoked porter or stout you could add around 4 oz of peat smoked malt and see how it goes, if you want really smokey go to town on the stuff, but I would think 4 oz would be a pretty good dose of smoke. MPW

I've been contemplating doing just that. I'll probably do the porter with the smoked malt now, then try a Scottish (a la Skullsplitter) with some peat smoked malt in the not-so distant future.

Sam75 said:
I've been contemplating doing just that. I'll probably do the porter with the smoked malt now, then try a Scottish (a la Skullsplitter) with some peat smoked malt in the not-so distant future.

What yeast you planning on using for that porter?
I've read on the green board that the White labs 10th anniversary blend might be a good choice for something like a baltic porter, so it might be interesting in this one too.
The 10th Anniversary blend (WLP010) is WLP 001, 002, 004, and 810 together.
I have 2 vials in the fridge waiting for some kind of recipe to come along that fits. One of them is yours if you want it for this.

I was trying to decide between Wyeast Europen ale, and their Scottish ale. I bet that blend will be just the ticket. Thanks f00!

Just about done with my brew day - wort chiller is running right now on my red ale.

Anyway... I'm really curious about how this White Labs 10th Anniversary yeast blend will turn out in people's brews. Keep us posted! :)

I saw that blend yesterday at the HBS too. Nearly picked it up, but no description was on the WL chart. Played it safe...would love to hear about this one though.

Back