reusing belgian bootles and wire hoods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jibby

Reaction score
I'm starting to brew Belgian beers, and to save money (since Belgian bottles are so expensive), I've starting saving up commercial Belgian bottles. The question is: first of all, are there any potential problems with reusing these? For example, might it contribute some flavor to my batch? Second question is: can I reuse the wire hoods that they come with if they don't look especially worn down?

Reusing bottles is fine. I reuse bottles all the time. I just clean them with oxyclean and rinse them well.

Not sure about the wire hoods though.

If you mean the wire hoods like on champagne bottles, I am not sure. They will probably not last as the wire will break after it is twisted and untwisted a few times. The krolsch flip-top type will last along time but the rubber gaskets are only good for about 5 uses. Both the gaskets and the flip tops are available from online stores for nominal cost.

I would think you could reuse the cages at least once, but then how would you keep track? I'd just buy new.

Back