What causes astringent taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max-the-knife

Reaction score
My first brew was a Scottish ale and aside from the contamination, it had a very astringent taste. My second brew (which doesn't have a contamination) has been in the bottle for 2 weeks and I plan to start drinking it next week. I tasted a bottle last evening and find it also has an astringent taste, but not as bad as the first.

What causes an astringent taste? Might it be that both batches went through the primary and secondary fermentations at about 78-80 F? That was my fermometer reading on the outside of the fermentors.

jackmaxcy said:
My first brew was a Scottish ale and aside from the contamination, it had a very astringent taste. My second brew (which doesn't have a contamination) has been in the bottle for 2 weeks and I plan to start drinking it next week. I tasted a bottle last evening and find it also has an astringent taste, but not as bad as the first.

What causes an astringent taste? Might it be that both batches went through the primary and secondary fermentations at about 78-80 F? That was my fermomenter reading on the outside of the fermentors.

That's definately too warm for Ale yeasts, but high fermentation temps don't normally cause astringency. High temps will cause all sorts of funky flavors.

Can you post your recipes?

High fermentation temperatures will cause the formation of fusel alcohols which could be misinterpreted as astringency.

Astringency is usually attributed to the extraction of excess tannins from the grains. Did you steep specialty grains in water that was too hot (above 170˚F)? Did you steep in too large a volume of water (dilute steep)? This can result in the extraction of tannins due to the high pH of the large volume of water.

As stated above, post your recipe.

John

I don't have the exact recipe but will find it. If memory serves me right, it was an extract recipe using Munton wheat extract (6.6 lbs). There were no specialty grains and my initial boil was 4.5 gallons.

jackmaxcy said:
I don't have the exact recipe but will find it. If memory serves me right, it was an extract recipe using Munton wheat extract (6.6 lbs). There were no specialty grains and my initial boil was 4.5 gallons.

does it have a harsh, alcohol burn to it? (That would be fusel alcohol and caused by the high fermentation temp.)

I wouldn't classify it as a harsh alcohol bite, but it has the sharp bite (astringency).
I don't think I scorched the wort during the boil but could that add an astringency?

Here is what John Palmer has to say about astringency and fusel alcohol. This info can be found in his online book, How To Brew. More to the point, here is a link to the chapter in his book where he describes Common Off-Flavors

Astringent
Astringency differs from bitterness by having a puckering quality, like sucking on a tea bag. It is dry, kind of powdery and is often the result of steeping grains too long or when the pH of the mash exceeds the range of 5.2 - 5.6. Oversparging the mash or using water that is too hot are common causes for exceeding the mash pH range. It can also be caused by over-hopping during either the bittering or finishing stages. Bacterial infections can also cause astringency, i.e. vinegar tones from aceto bacteria.

The brown scum that forms during fermentation and clings to the side of the fermentor is intensely bitter and if it is stirred back into the beer it will cause very astringent tastes. The scum should be removed from the beer, either by letting it cling undisturbed to the sides of an oversize fermentor, or by skimming it off the krausen, or blowing off the krausen itself from a 5 gallon carboy. I have never had any problems by simply letting it cling to the sides of the fermentor.

Alcoholic
A sharp flavor that can be mild and pleasant or hot and bothersome. When an alcohol taste detracts from a beer's flavor it can usually be traced to one of two causes. The first problem is often too high a fermentation temperature. At temperatures above 80°F, yeast can produce too much of the higher weight fusel alcohols which have lower taste thresholds than ethanol. These alcohols taste harsh to the tongue, not as bad as cheap tequila, but bad nonetheless.

Fusel alcohols can be produced by excessive amounts of yeast, or when the yeast sits too long on the trub. This is one reason to move the beer off of the hot and cold break when the beer is going to be spending a lot of time in the fermentor.

Back