Marris Otter the same as British two row or pale malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I'm not really a beignner but this is certainly a beginner question.

Is there a large difference between British Two Row, British Pale Malt and Marris Otter.

In recipes that call for these, can they be substituted without changing the profile of the beer style you are making??

Maris Otter is a specific cutivar. Halcyon, Vulcan, Klagge are among other cultivars and are used for brewers malts

pale malting is the process used on those cultivars

Yes there is a different flavor in the Maris Otter then other pale malts

Different, yes, but I wouldn't say that there is a large difference.

You can substitute them for any recipe.

The important part is how they are malted and kilned. Kilned to British Pale "standards" makes more of a difference than the cultivar, IMO.

I always use Maris Otter because I like that little bit extra it gives and I can get sacks fairly cheap from my LHBS. I know that it has been kilned to "British Pale Ale" standards and I know I'm sourcing UK ingredients. Same could be said for getting Optic, Halcyon, Pearl or Golden Promise. All cultivars...

Briess even uses a domestic 2-row barley and malts that to "British Pale" standard. You're going to taste some difference but it will all make good beer.

If the recipe calls for British anything as a base malt, then Maris Otter is the easiest choice unless Golden Promise is specified. After those two you will get lost in the fog until you reach expert status. (I strongly recommend that you read my sig after this advice)

I can get a single sack of Crisp Marris Otter for roughly $70 at my LHBS. That's not the best price in the world, but he's very close to my house, and I want him to stay there.

TL

Maris Otter is a little richer with a nutty flavor. Not much but it's there when compared to your normal 2-row.

So you are saying that sounds good but remember - sometimes you don't want a rich, nutty flavor and opt for more of a clean flavor.

I find it more bready or biscuity than nutty, similar to Vienna. Yes, it is minor, but if you're talking about 10 pounds or so in a five gallon batch, the difference is significant. It's all a matter of what you want.

If you want a less expensive but very similar substitute, check out the domestic "special pale" malt available. It's kilned more to British pale ale standards, rather than U.S.

TL

I find it more bready or biscuity than nutty

yea - I have to agree. Good catch!!

I'm going to be trying Golden Promise for the 1st time. A Scottish Ale has it in it's recipe so . . .why not!

yea - I have to agree. Good catch!!

I'm going to be trying Golden Promise for the 1st time. A Scottish Ale has it in it's recipe so . . .why not!

Golden Promise is an awesome malt! It has a very pleasant sort of honey-like residual sweetness that goes exceptionally well in a Scottish ale of any sort.

Latest posts

Back