New to Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakersbrew

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just got my keg setup today along with a chest freezer I will eventually convert to a keezer. However, I know very little about kegging.

I know I can force carb the beer but doesnt that just give you artificially carbonated green beer? If I was to keg condition how would I do that? Should I add priming sugar, close it off and just let it sit between 60-70 for two to three weeks? Let me know what you guys do. Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

I always force carb mine, never added sugar. Set at 12 PSI, into the fridge and 1 week later (4 weeks after brewing) it's good to go but does get better. That last beer...mmm....the best.

Me too - exactly the same; set at 12 and then I'll taste after a few days (just b/c I can't contain myself), but really don't start "officially" drinking until a week.

Be careful if you add sugar, so you don't use the same amount as you would for bottling.

I've recently started putting my beers on 20 psi for 24 hours and then backing back down to serving pressure (~8-10 psi). Since i mostly drink english beers that don't require lots of carbonation, this seems to work well.

Also, you asked about aging the beer. I've discovered what most people who keg say, which is you get to a point where you have kegs aging and waiting to go into the keezer when you kick one. I've got four in my fridge (it's full, no more can go in) and i'm still planning a stout and a bitters with the idea that they will age and go into the rotation when i'm finished with some of the other beers. This way you also don't have to wait on one to finish fermenting and you wont run out of beer.

The hard part is the beginning, when you're trying to get your pipeline full without kicking your first 1 or 2 kegs first :D

Back