cutting holes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanyP321

Reaction score
what is the best way to cut a hole in a plastic fermenting bucket. Should I just use a drill and a circle cutter (for wood)?

Cheers

I use a spade bit:
press_SpeedborSpadeBit.jpg

+1 on spade bit or Forstner bit. Place one scrap wood to minimize tear-out. Too fast and you could melt the plastic, but I am not sure a bucket lid is thick enough to build up much heat. Likely just cut through before that happens.

+1 on Spade bit. I got mine for $1.65 at a local hardware store and used it to make my bottling bucket. The circular cutout bits were expensive for the single purpose.

Just did this yesterday with a spade bit (1-1/8"). Insides were a little chewed up but I took a semicircular file to the hole for about 30 seconds and now I have a perfect fit with the gromet. So I guess this is a +1 for the spade bit, provided you can file the hole afterwards.

Cheers,

Zac

its actually for a heat element. Making a meltable boiler;) - no turkey fryers heres.

So I am going to be doing it on the curved edge! Think it will still work?

its actually for a heat element. Making a meltable boiler;) - no turkey fryers heres.

So I am going to be doing it on the curved edge! Think it will still work?

Yep, that's the nice thing about spade bits, they have those two teeth plus the scraper part in the middle. I'd be more worried about being able to get a seal with the flange on the heating element against the curved surface of the bucket, but I guess if you tighten it down enough it will flatten.

On second thought, I think I'd be most worried about the bucket melting... :eek:

Just did this yesterday with a spade bit (1-1/8"). Insides were a little chewed up but I took a semicircular file to the hole for about 30 seconds and now I have a perfect fit with the gromet. So I guess this is a +1 for the spade bit, provided you can file the hole afterwards.

Cheers,

Zac

If you hold a small block of wood on the backside for the bit to dig into when it goes through the bucket you nearly eliminate tearout like this.

bugger!! *&^*&% just did it. Must have cut at an angle because the hole is just slightly too big! Can't get a seal. Thinking now about plastering the outside of the bucket with sealant. Really don't want to buy another bucket (even though they are cheap).

Not worried about the bucket melting (my kettle doesnt;) - but quite worried about the sealant melting. Anyone know how hot a multi pupose sealant will get before it melts?

I shouldn't be allowed to do DIY...but I love it so much

How are you sealing the element? got an o ring behind the locknut or element?

arrrrrgh...... I just zombified this thread!!!!

Since whats done is done, did you get this working Sean?

Back