How to pronounce Williamette

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JefeTheVol

Reaction score
So, I have always pronounced it WILL-a-met...but the other day I heard that the people from the Williamette area pronounce it will-AM-et...as in "its williamette, dammit"

FYI: I DO NOT pronounce it wert!!! Nor will I ever.
-Jefe-

another way of looking at it is wha - lamb - it. Obviously there is not a hard b, but lamb dosnt have a hard b wither.

I take it back. It is pronounced Ore a gun. And Washington doesn't have an R anywhere.

Thanks for that one! :)

I would like to welcome everyone to the wonderful world of Pacific Northwest names and pronunciation. :)

Next Class: Stillaquamish and Steilacoom.

Perhaps one day everyone can graduate to Puyallup, Sequim and Hoqiuam!

I say wil-uh-met..
But I'd go with the guys that live there if you want the RIGHT pronunciation

Now why would you want to go and do a thing like that? Here in Illinois, that would probably be a mistake:

1. Vienna is "Vie-ann-uh"

2. Marseilles is "Mar-sales"

3. Bourbonnais is "Bore-bone-us"

A few years ago, the Bourbonnais city council issued an ordinance correcting the pronunciation of the city name. If you think that'll change anything, you're pretty naïve.....

Now why would you want to go and do a thing like that? Here in Illinois, that would probably be a mistake:

1. Vienna is "Vie-ann-uh"

2. Marseilles is "Mar-sales"

3. Bourbonnais is "Bore-bone-us"

A few years ago, the Bourbonnais city council issued an ordinance correcting the pronunciation of the city name. If you think that'll change anything, you're pretty naïve.....

I'm in Illinois and I've never heard anyone say any of those like that.
Vee en uh - I mean come on it's a damn city that is older than our country. Is Munich pronounced Munchik?

Mar Say

Bourbon eh(like Canada, eh) This one is particularly unforgivable, given that bourbon - whiskey is in the word. I'm smacking the first person I hear order bore bone at a bar.

I do hear worshington a lot. That one makes me cringe. No O or R in that word. It may not actually mean anything but that just screams stupid to me.

How to pronounce Williamette
It's a trick question! You pronounce Williamette just like the name 'William' with an 'ette' at the end.

But the HOP variety is spelled 'Willamette', there is only one 'i'. And it's pronounced just like it's spelted.

nothing, and i mean nothing beat a person from the east coast asking how to get to ..... " juan de fuca " :rockin:

Here is how I pronounce some terms in brewing. Don't know if I am right...but I am from the East Coast so I got that as an excuse.

Willamette - Will-Am-It
Fuggles - Fugg-Ulls
Saaz - Satz
Hallertau - Hal-Er-Tou
Chinook - Shinook
Trub - Troob
Autolysis - Auto-lie-sis or Auto-liss-is (heard it both ways)
Brettonomyces - Brett or Brett-On-Oh-My-Sees
Saccharomyces Cerevisiae - Yeast or Sack-Row-My-Sees Sara-Vis-See-Aye

Back