Bulk DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeeferMan

Reaction score
So, my first brew isn't carbed all the way yet but seems like it will be good judging by an early taste. Yesterday I brewed a robust porter. The brewing went quite smoothly and I am excited about it.

I am going to continue on with the extract + steeping grains technique for a while. It's easy for me, and I don't have a lot of room for equipment. Which brings me to my question.

A key finding for me is that you can brew most ales with pale/light DME as the base malt, so I am thinking about a bulk purchase to bring my cost-per-batch down.

I have heard you can get it in 50# increments. Should this give me a cost savings (my main reason for doing it) and how is it best stored? Does it come in an airtight container or should I buy/make something?

Normally bulk DME comes in a bag - once opened, the bag is no longer airtight.

I've got DME that's still perfect after more than 10 years (some long dry spells in brewing there) which I repacked into zip-lock bags (gallons, I think - about 4 lbs per bag) and then stored the bags in tight metal cans (an old milk can in perfect shape is my best one, but a brand-new undented galvanized metal trash can + lid would also work - as would a tight 5 gallon bucket, though you'd need several of those).

Keeping it dry and away from things that want to eat it is the big deal. Does not need to be refrigerated, though excessive heat is probably not good.

I just ordered a bunch of 1# bags from morebeer.com for $3.75 each with free shipping. I was paying $18 for 3# bags! That'll be convenient and bring my cost-per-batch down considerably...

I get mine thru DME mart. I'm an all grain brewer and use it to up the alcohol level a bit sometimes. Just store it air tight in a cool, dry place..
Hal. :mug:

Back