Whoops ,no yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish-man

Reaction score
I brewed up a nice batch today in midst of an argument with SWMBO.

Got everything in my bucket ready to go when I realize I didn't have any yeast . DOH.

Anyway in a bit of a panic I opened one of the bottles from my last batch which has been conditioning for 5 days and poured that in.

Touch wood that should have enough yeast to get it started but I will go to the shop tomorrow and get another pack of yeast (or three) just in case.

How long would you guy's wait before deciding that the bottle yeast wasn't working ... or would you add the new stuff ASAP?

I'd go tomorow to the nearest LHBS and get some yeast...OR dump the dregs of a several bottles of your homebrew into a starter and see if you can grow enough viable cells in the next 24 hours to ferment 5 gallons of beer....

The yeast in a single bottle of homebrew is going to be pretty stressed out, and may not be enough to ferment 5 gallons of beer...

Here's a hint...ALWAYS keep a packet of yeast on hand in your fridge for emergencies....I like to keep an extra packet of US o5 for on hand.

Its off.

Havn't had a chance to get to the shop but as it seems to be perfectly happy as it is I wont bother.

Resilient little things aint they :D

fingers crossed it turns out ok

I like to keep an extra packet of US o5 for on hand.

You took the words right out of my mou... err, off of my keyboard.

I recommend keeping a few packets of various yeast on hand. US 04 and 05. They are cheap and work great right our of the package. However, I am super impressed with Nottingham after this last batch. I just transferred (og 1.070 and fg of 1.010) and the yeast cake is about an inch thick. Didn't even build a starter...

Anyhow, what Revy said.

Latest posts

Back