Whats the best erlenmeyer flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spudsuds

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2000 ml erlenmeyer flask from one of the sponsors here on this site. On my second starter I noticed it has a crack in it all the way around the glass. It seems to be very thin walled glass. Just wondering if anyone had suggestions on what brand to purchase and where is the best place.

Thank You

I use a Fernbach flask, they are a little more $$. It is 2800 mL but shorter with a larger diameter but I have a stirring hotplate. If you do not boil the starter wort in it a thick wall erlenmeyer flask will do good on a stir plate. The top brands are Corning and Kimble but the big sicentific companies have good thick wall house brands.

There are a lot of manufacturers who make good flasks. What you want to get is a flask made of pyrex or borosilicate glass (same thing, different name). These are resistant to heat-related cracking and are fairly tough when it comes to bumps and drops. Cheaper flasks are often other types of glass that are less hardy.

Bryan

Back