Hidden man cave

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds awsome. Im jealous not only by the mancave, but from buying a house in Potwin. I love that neighborhood!!!

I know! I grew up here and to move back to a house that I walked by a 1000+ times on the way to Potwin Elementary is too cool.

Are you a Hall of Foamer? I was with them in the late 80's but moved away to KC for many years.

Here is the update. Dry wall is ordered for walls and ceiling of the the new hidden mancave, 2 new keggles from Keggle Brewerer arrived last week for my indoor electric brewery and we're picking up a black 8.8 cubic freezer from Sears tomorrow for the 5 tap kegerator ala Coasterine. 3 weeks to a month it should all be finished. Instead of bookshelves, it'll be hidden by some junky basement shelves using original 1880 bead board we found in the garage rafters.

Dig all of the weird orbs. Might be a haunted hidden mancave.

Here are some before pics:
mancave_1.jpg

mancave_21.jpg

electric_breewery.jpg

The drop ceiling was taken down today. You never know what you'll find. In this case a ton of ancient electrical wire and a hodgepodge of gas and water pipe. Looks like quite a bit of shimming ahead for the new drywall ceiling, even so, I should gain an inch in height.

It's a mess now. Clean up tomorrow and scope out the locations of the recessed ceiling pots:

Mancave_3.jpg

Also swung by Sears to pick up our new 8.8 cubic foot black freezer that came in. Right out of the box, surrounded by even more orbs:

Keezer_15.jpg

Have the LOVE controller ordered for the electric brewery and the Perlicks are in the mail. All on schedule.

Appreciate all the positive comments.:mug:

We need a new roof, but you have to prioritize your projects, right?

this is incredible after it is all done you have the tough choice of first brew to drink in the mancave.

Quite a bit of work has gone on, but none of it is pic worthy. Sorting out all of the lighting, plug ins, wall switches, ceiling furring and clearing out all of the stuff that accumulates over 130 years in the floor joists of a basement ceiling.

We did get a ton of ordered items via Fedex though:

March pump
CO2 air manifold
Beer and air hosing
Perlicks and shanks
Dip tubes for the keggles
Pub tap handles
Love controller for the electric brewery
2 4500 watt heating elements (HLT & BK. We're using a 10 gallon Gott cooler
with a SS false bottom for a MLT)
2 temp probes
2 safety level switches

Ordering quick disconnects from McMaster tonight to tie the single tier electric home brewery all together.

All that and a 6 pack of the new New Belgium Ranger IPA.

New Office and 30 Rock....a good Thursday all in all.

Hopefully we'll be closing it all in with sheetrock by next Wednesday. That's when it all starts taking shape. This weekend I'll be working on the keezer and brewstand.

The first one was awesome and this one looks like it will even top that! Plus, any cave with an 8 Ball Deluxe pinball game is just awesome right there. I used to play that all the time.

Definitely subscrubing, once I remember where that's at, heh.

Got the ceiling cleared out of crud and the firring is started as you can see.

Firring_in.jpg

Looking back towards where the shelves with hidden door will be. Roughly where the white box is sitting. Behind the box is a door headed off to the right to the rest of the basement and brewery.

Looking_Back.jpg

Here are the Keezer bits. 4 shiny new Perlicks with black pub handles, manifold, Johnson analog temp control, CO2 and beer hosing and red oak for the collar.

Keezer_parts.jpg

Here are the bones of the single tier electric brewery. In order: HLT -MLT -BK.
Got some patching to do on the wall, paint to clean it all up and swap the bathroom sink out for a deep utility sink.

Brewery_Parts.jpg

Here are the 4500W elements, probes and safeties with the LOVE controller. One March Pump for now. McMaster QD's are on the way.

Brewery_bits.jpg

Drywalling is my favorite part of a remodel. The change is quick and dramatic and finally reveals a sense of how the space will turn out. I had to leave a channel open in the ceiling. The cable wire I found wasn't good. No signal. Glad I had the presence of mind to haul a TV down there and test for a signal before sheetrocking covered everything. Cox is coming tomorrow morning to give me live cable wire and then it's rock and roll on taping and mudding.

Drywalled2.jpg

A slightly different angle. A former owner used the space as a recording studio. It was literally wall to wall and floor to ceiling thick 70's shag carpeting down there. The plywood to the right covers a basement window that's been boarded over since the late 60's. Looking forward to opening that up.

Drywalled.jpg

Wow great job, i cannot wait to see how it turns out. I am super jealous, i hope to build something like this one day. Keep up the good work.

Chromados

These projects always go slower than you think. The drywall is finally taped, mudded and sanded. The trim is hung and the hidden shelving door should be finished this week.

Here's a shot partially showing the window, freshly framed out, that hasn't seen the light of day in 40 years. More work to do on the lighting, lens and trim:

Mancave_22.jpg

Drywall dust is kicking up a lot of orbs. We stained and varnished the existing cabinets. The covered couch is a black leather deal we ran across at Big Lots. Heckuva deal and will look great. To the left you can see an outlet and cable where our electric fireplace with adjoining bookshelves is going. Just bought a 42 inch LCD TV from Best Buy to sit atop the mantle.

Mancave3.jpg

Looking back towards where the hidden door will be located. There's a stack of 1X10's stained and ready to go.

Mancave_4.jpg

I spent about 4 hours yesterday taking down old 130 year old bead board nailed up (w/ old square head nails) in the rafter of our garage. They'll be the backing of the shelves with hidden door. From inside the finished room, they'll have the original patina, but with a coat of clearcoat.

Mancave_5.jpg

Just ordered our wallpaper tonight and with any luck it should all be done in a couple weeks. Already have a poker game lined up.

Now to start work on the keezer and electric brewery. Next updates should focus on those part of this build. When it's all done I'll film a walkthrough, put it up on youtube and post a link.

Before completely finishing the hidden door I thought I'd snap a few pics to show the construction of the door. The fixed shelves are about half way closed in with the bead board. It should be closed in completely tomorrow. This is the view upon first entering the basement.

door_1.jpg

The door is balanced well and opens and closes extremely easy and smoothly. Unlike the first hidden mancave, this door opens on concrete instead of carpet. The piano hinge is screwed into a stud through drywall. The hinge was recessed slightly into the drywall so it's really not noticable at all.

Door_2.jpg

Looking back at the shelves and doors from inside the cave. There'll be a horizontal piece of beadboard as trim in the middle to hide the slight gap.

Door_3.jpg

The keezer and jukebox. This afternoon's project is to finally start on the collar of the keezer. We had to move these into the room before the door build, otherwise they wouldn't have fit through the door.

Keezer_jukebox.jpg

This next week everything should be finished with construction. Wallpaper is going up next weekend and the carpet will be laid the following week. The paper and carpet is identical to the last cave project. Then finally on to the brewery build.

It's looking great. I love that jukebox. Original content or do you put your own stuff in there?

It's looking great. I love that jukebox. Original content or do you put your own stuff in there?

Stocked it up with 45's bought on ebay and gemm.com. There are downloadable labels that match the original jukebox song titles. There's room for 5 covers from 45's that I switch out from time to time. Right now from left to right you can see covers from Jethro Tull, The Chieftains, another Tull, The Rutles (Monty Python's Beatles parody) and Van Morrison.

That machine rocks out. I stock it up with blues for poker night.

You certainly do suck...

Looking forward to seeing the rest of this awesome project.

The hidden mancave is finally done. There was a back order on our wall paper that stopped this dead for 3 weeks. These aren't very good photos, sorry. I'll get a camcorder and do a youtube video walk through soon. Here's the view of the shelves after walking down the basement stairs.
door1.jpg

Here's the door opened looking into the mancave.

open_door.jpg

Looking at the window (with faux stained glass privacy film. See the wireless keyboard and mouse for the 42 inch HDTV monitor powered by a Dell Zino)

window.jpg

Looking to the back of the room. That electric fireplace cranks out the heat.

back1.jpg

Looking to the the open door. We still need to move in the poker table that's still in storage. Still working on the brewery. The wallpaper is a lot cooler and darker than this shows. Looks like random patterns, but it's a nautical map of the North Atlantic.

front3.jpg

Here's the Keezer, covered in wall paper paste. Still got some clean up.
keezer10.jpg

Back