Sanitize dry hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
I'm thinking this may be one of those over-thinking type of questions, but what the heck.

I put my extract kit recipe into hopville and it came back as saying I'd get 97 IBUs. That was a bit much IMO, so I decided to scale the bittering hops back to 1/2 oz. (from an ounce) and then use the other 1/2 ounce to dry hop after a week of fermenting.

I put the other half of the sealed bag of hops directly into a ziplock bag, but I was wondering if I need to do anything to sanitize the hops now that they've been exposed to air. A quick spray of Star San? Nothing? I sure don't want to ruin an batch due to something as silly as adding infected hops to the fermenter.

Thanks!

Your hops will be fine. I keep my extra hops ziplocked in the fridge. Please don't spray your hops with chemicals! We all look forward to reading more posts from you and I feel like ingesting StarSan might hinder your ability to do so. Remember, hops grow in the open air already :)

I would try running your recipe through that brewing program again... I use Brew Target and sometimes if I'm not careful it'll use the wrong units. 97 is an awful high number for one ounce of anything.

If you haven't yet, pick up a copy of The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. It's a great book and there are some equations in there to help you calculate stuff (for those who care about math). It's also home to the phrase you'll be hearing a lot: "Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew!"

Good luck!

Back