Cornelius Queries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrizzell

Reaction score
I keep hearing that Cornelius kegs are available to home brewers because Coke and Pepsi have switched to bag-in-box technology. I've also heard that some people have had luck getting kegs from their local Coke or Pepsi bottlers. So...I thought I'd give them a call and see what I could find out. Both told me that they're still distributing soda in the kegs and they don't sell them.

Is this a regional thing? Perhaps they still distribute a certain amount in kegs for people that haven't made the switch?

jfrizzell said:
I keep hearing that Cornelius kegs are available to home brewers because Coke and Pepsi have switched to bag-in-box technology. I've also heard that some people have had luck getting kegs from their local Coke or Pepsi bottlers. So...I thought I'd give them a call and see what I could find out. Both told me that they're still distributing soda in the kegs and they don't sell them.

Is this a regional thing? Perhaps they still distribute a certain amount in kegs for people that haven't made the switch?
You won't get much cooperation from the big soda companies.

Get ahold of someone like www.brewersdiscount.com or beveragefactory.com...

They have reasonable prices on functional cornies.

BierMuncher said:
You won't get much cooperation from the big soda companies.

Get ahold of someone like www.brewersdiscount.com or beveragefactory.com...

They have reasonable prices on functional cornies.

Thanks. I figured it was a long shot but thought I'd give it a try. I've been looking at Brewers Discount and they did have two kegs for $38, but I don't see that anymore. Looks like they're $25 each now. I emailed them about a week ago asking if they still had them for that price and haven't heard back from them. Need to give them a call.

It is true that some accounts still require cornies for soda and it has something to do with the syrup in a box requiring a bulk order. I don't know why, but they're able to order one or two cornies of each type of syrup but they'd have to buy say 12 boxes of each type if they want that. The other issue is having to change out to syrup pumps instead of forcing it out of a corny with CO2 they already need to have.

Of course, homebrewers have access now because the corny usage is probably only 5% of what it was at one point. There's surplus.

You don't want to call the big companies, you want the local distributors. Most of them have unloaded all the cornies that they don't need to places that now sell them. I have no doubt the markup is about 400%.

jfrizzell said:
Thanks. I figured it was a long shot but thought I'd give it a try. I've been looking at Brewers Discount and they did have two kegs for $38, but I don't see that anymore. Looks like they're $25 each now. I emailed them about a week ago asking if they still had them for that price and haven't heard back from them. Need to give them a call.

One of the kegs I got from Brewer's Discount had clearly been dropped on it's top, with a cracked leaky lid and a bent post. Customer service was less than ideal...I was told that the kegs were fine when shipped, and that I would have to send pictures of the damage before he'd replace the parts. I found it insulting, and absurd that I'm expected to photographically document a leak. I've had much better luck with kegs from Midwest supplies.

I've also bought four from this seller on eBay. They are the type with one rigid handle (instead of that nasty, decomposing black rubber) and the price is great. 2 kegs for $35, and shipping was another $10 or so.

(2) 5 GALLON CORNELIUS SODA KEGS

jfrizzell said:
Thanks. I figured it was a long shot but thought I'd give it a try. I've been looking at Brewers Discount and they did have two kegs for $38, but I don't see that anymore. Looks like they're $25 each now.

Wow, his prices have been going up. I got all of mine from there for $16 each plus shipping.

Bummer.

kvh

BlindLemonLars said:
One of the kegs I got from Brewer's Discount had clearly been dropped on it's top, with a cracked leaky lid and a bent post. Customer service was less than ideal...I was told that the kegs were fine when shipped, and that I would have to send pictures of the damage before he'd replace the parts. I found it insulting, and absurd that I'm expected to photographically document a leak. I've had much better luck with kegs from Midwest supplies.

I've also bought four from this seller on eBay. They are the type with one rigid handle (instead of that nasty, decomposing black rubber) and the price is great. 2 kegs for $35, and shipping was another $10 or so.

(2) 5 GALLON CORNELIUS SODA KEGS

Thanks for the tips. I'm a bit farther away from Oregon. Shipping to me is $25 for the two kegs. Still not a bad deal. I might have to consider that one.

After much research I bought mine from Keg Connection for a reasonable price ($22 each + shipping). Todd sells both types too - single or double handle depending on what you like. Coloured ones too.

Kal

kal said:
After much research I bought mine from Keg Connection for a reasonable price ($22 each + shipping). Todd sells both types too - single or double handle depending on what you like. Coloured ones too.

I bought my last 8 kegs from Todd at www.kegconnection.com too. He throws in new O-rings on every purchase. Todd is a great guy with great customer service. He comes highly recommended! :rockin:

It pays to keep your eyes open. My local bottler told me that they won't sell them to individuals because of the liability so we ended up buying a few online. Then one day at work I struck it lucky.

The Chinese restaurant at the other end of the building went out of business. The restaurant was trashed so the building owner hired a company to come in and gut it. One day I walk out our back door and see the worker about to toss a keg into the dumpster. I yell at him from the other end of the building to stop and run down there. I find they are about to toss the 7 kegs that were abandoned in the restaurant. I felt it my duty to rescued them. I suppose the local bottler would have wanted them back but since the kegs were about to meet their fate in a dumpster, I didn't feel too bad about taking them.

/rant

It drives me crazy to order kegs online because the F#$%in shipping doubles the cost of the kegs...It drives me crazy. It seems like I have shipped larger stuff for cheaper then what people/companies charge for shipping. I dont understand it.

/rant off

I got my two kegs off of ebay, I think you just have to keep your eyes open for decent deals there, and watch out for the prices that are a bit too high.

Good luck

ps sorry for the rant.

ArroganceFan said:
/rant

It drives me crazy to order kegs online because the F#$%in shipping doubles the cost of the kegs...It drives me crazy. It seems like I have shipped larger stuff for cheaper then what people/companies charge for shipping. I dont understand it.

/rant off

I got my two kegs off of ebay, I think you just have to keep your eyes open for decent deals there, and watch out for the prices that are a bit too high.

Good luck

ps sorry for the rant.

I am right with ya. I used to buy all my kegs off of ebay. I was getting two kegs for $40 which included shipping. Good luck finding that now days

Back