making a starter with liquid malt extract??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethangray19

Reaction score
I always see people making their starters with DME. I assume you can make them with liquid, correct.

How much should be used in how much water?

thanks

Liquid malt extract is much harder to use since it is very thick and will stick to everything, therefor it is harder to measure for a particular gravity starter. John Palmer recommends 1/2 cup DME (easy to measure) with 1/2 Quart water.

I would give 1/3 cup of LME to 3 cups of water. You'll want to heat the water and use it to rinse your measuring cup to get all of the LME out. That should give you a starter of 1.040.

I keep a few pounds of Dried Malt Extract on hand all the time just for starters.

sounds good.

I dont have DME and plan to use LME, are these ratios going to be fine. (3 cups water - 1/3 cup LME???

Any one out there use LME for starter??

I am actually wondering the same thing. All I have is LME and I planned on brewing tomorrow. The only LME I have is from the kit I bought. Is 3 cups to 1/3 cup LME good and is it ok to use the LME I have from my kit ?

Back