I think everyone here might be able to help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gear101

Reaction score
It seems that I will be in the market for a new grille. Six years ago I brought Brinkman four burner grille, but after a lot of use it has seen its better days. I like to grille year round, I dig the snow from around it and freeze to death, but I just enjoy grilled everything. So to the question, I see there are some new infrared grills on the market, are those the way to go. They say less fuel and shorter cook time?

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/charcoal-series/one-touch-gold-26-1

Gold26_210x150.jpg

anything else is a wannabe

I just bought a pellet grill and so far it has been awesome. There is a website Pellett heads .com that has reviews for all the brands that are sold now. I got tired of fighting temp control but wanted to stay with the flavor of real wood. This smokes but also can be brought up to a temp of over 500 deg for grilling. I have a webber gasser that is just collecting dust now. The first burgers on the pellett were by far the best we ever made

It starts with a push of a button and has a range of 150 to over 500. the temp stays rock solid and various hard wood pelletts are easy to find.

I have seen recipes for anything from pizza to blueberry cobbler for these grills.

Weber E320 Genesis.

Built like a tank. Porcelin enamel coated cast iron grates. Incredibly even cooking temps (no hot spots). Will yet to ~700 even on cold days.

I love mine.

bad67z said:
It is the best! I'm 42 yrs. old and have never owned a gas grill and I used to work for a gas distributor and could get my propane for free. I am a self admitted charcoal snob

Why do I hear a Hank Hill-esque gasp when I read this? :)

I know I want to get a propane grill next time. I have a charcoal grill I use with lump charcoal and a chimney starter which is great for when I have a day off, but since I get off work late at night I just don't always have the patience to light the charcoal. You could go ir I suppose but I don't think it gives the same maillard reactions as a good flame will. Not speaking from experience though.

It is the best! I'm 42 yrs. old and have never owned a gas grill and I used to work for a gas distributor and could get my propane for free. I am a self admitted charcoal snob

I've used it in the past and really enjoyed it, but its hard to find and expensive in my area.

I know I want to get a propane grill next time. I have a charcoal grill I use with lump charcoal and a chimney starter which is great for when I have a day off, but since I get off work late at night I just don't always have the patience to light the charcoal. You could go ir I suppose but I don't think it gives the same maillard reactions as a good flame will. Not speaking from experience though.

get the best of both worlds. Take a log starter (basically a pipe cross drilled with holes, hooked up to a ball valve and propane connection), use it to start your charcoal. Then cook with the charcoal. Ease of propane starter without the flavor of propane.

thanks for all the info, but was really looking for info on the infrared grills?

thanks for all the info, but was really looking for info on the infrared grills?

My parents have an infrared grill. It's a regular propane grill with a big ass sheet of metal between the grates and the burners. This steel plate helps distribute the heat better but you don't get a searing/grilling zone. You get a searing, less searing and grilling. Also since they grill mostly hamburgers the big steel plate absorbs the flavors from the drippings that hit it the most so chicken breasts also tasted like burger ashes.

Gear101 said:

I have had one of the charbroil infrareds for the past year and love it...really it lives up to how it is advertised. Juicy meat, more efficient on the gas and cooks in less time. Also for flavor it it really easy because the design allows for you to throw dry woodchips directly on the grill. No hot box no soaking, tremendous smoky flavors. As long as you follow the directions and season your grates, cleanup is a breeze too. This has really helped me step up my grilling. But read the instruction booklet that comes with it, because cooking times, methods and cleanup are different than a regular propane grill.

I have had one of the charbroil infrareds for the past year and love it...really it lives up to how it is advertised. Juicy meat, more efficient on the gas and cooks in less time. Also for flavor it it really easy because the design allows for you to throw dry woodchips directly on the grill. No hot box no soaking, tremendous smoky flavors. As long as you follow the directions and season your grates, cleanup is a breeze too. This has really helped me step up my grilling. But read the instruction booklet that comes with it, because cooking times, methods and cleanup are different than a regular propane grill.

Thanks that helps, looking at a couple different ones, first have to get rid of this POS Holland Grill or free some place up.

:off:
Anything I can stuff full of this:

View attachment 51881

propane is for brewing. :D

IMHO, there are much better lump charcoals to use...

I have personally found rocks (not a big deal), lumber mill scrap.. ie: hardwood flooring leftovers, and plywood in bags of Cowboy... Others have found much worse..

Here...

And here...

Granted some of this information may be old and outdated, however there are plenty of alternatives, at least where I am at...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back