Barleywine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pavs

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'd like to make a barleywine and was wondering of anyone can recommend a good recepe? Also let me know how long to let it ferment. Also can you give me a little taste profile. Nothing major just something like malty or mellow or something of the like.

Thanks all :mug:

are there any commercial barleywines that you particularly like? making a clone might be a good starting point.

I have found that you can make a very nice Barleywine using extract only. It's similar in profile to my local micro's offering; and it doesn't need that much aging to be good. It's strong, but not overpoweringly alcoholic. It's basically Walt's from the Brewmasters Bible with a little more hops:

11 lbs. light DME
1 lb. Wheat DME
2 oz Willamette or Cascade 60 min
4 oz Galena, or Nugget 60 min
2 oz Chinook 60 min
2 oz Cascade Flameout
2 oz Cascade dry hop
2 packages Wyeast 1098 or starter.

Since I only had a 4 gallon pot, I usually split the wort into two pots and boiled one with all the hops, and boiled the extra DME and threw them together in the fermenter.

Be prepared for lots of blowoff, it will really go.

I found it good to drink at 3 weeks in the bottle, but it just gets better.

Even though I've gone all grain, I'll still throw this quickie in every fall.

I made Midwest's Bigfoot Barleywine last summer, and it turned out quite well. I did a (mostly) AG version, using a few pounds of DME I had, since I ran about 4 pounds short of 2-row. Since they publish the ingredients for their kits, you can just go to the website and do a recipe. From what I can tell, just a straight barleywine, nothing fancy about it.

I checked out the web site, I also checked out northern brewer. I definatly think I'm going to give one of them a shot. Does anyone know what a good aging time would be. Would it really be good if I age it for a year?

pavs said:
I checked out the web site, I also checked out northern brewer. I definatly think I'm going to give one of them a shot. Does anyone know what a good aging time would be. Would it really be good if I age it for a year?

The longer you let it age at steady temps, the better it'll get. Have 1 or 2 a month for the next several years and tell us how it gets!

I did Midwest's, left it in the secondary for 4 months, and then bottled per directions. Started smoothing out nicely after about 2 months in the bottle.

Back