The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clearly the Japanese players should fire a sword through themselves to save the last bit of honor they have.

A short week in MLS, mercifully so, as the Gold Cup absences are already being felt, here's what's going on:

1. MLS's Refusal To Take Time Off Hurts Quality and Parity
We all know that MLS not taking time off for international breaks hurts the quality of the game in MLS, naturally most of the best players are gone with their national teams. One thing that is often overlooked is how much it hurts team parity though, each team is hit differently in a very tightly matched league. For teams with lots of North American and Central American talent, the Gold Cup is devastating to their rosters; three teams, Toronto, FC Dallas and Real Salt Lake are missing five players for the gold cup, many of them players key to each team's success, but some teams aren't missing anyone and others aren't missing any starters. I can certainly understand not taking off for competitions that you might not have many players in, the Cup of Nations, the Euro and Copa America generally don't include a lot of MLS players, but when you draw most of your talent from North and Central America not taking time off for the Gold Cup is ridiculous. The loss of five players by RSL with three of them being regular starters seems awfully unfair when DC United is only missing Michael Seaton(who? Exactly) doesn't it?

2. MLS Teams Reload
The international window opens on the 8th, but MLS teams are already (re)loading up on whoever they can get that fits their needs or wants. Steven Gerrard and Andrea Pirlo are the big names so far that are official, but other teams are aiming to pick up midrange talent, the Sounders for example signed former player and fan favorite Erik Friberg. If the much rumored "Core Player" mechanic comes in before the international window opens up, expect a very chaotic and busy July for MLS teams scrambling to work out the math to add a new shiny DP while making someone else a "core player".

3. Kaka Sees Red
For the first time in his career, Kaka sees a straight red...and it wasn't a deserved one, in my opinion. Some people are saying he "stomped" on Morales, but if anything his feet got tangled with the RSL player. A yellow was well deserved...a straight red, not so much. Orlando City won't file an appeal because it's hard to get a red card overturned when there is clearly a cardable offense (a Disciplinary Committee rule that I don't have a problem with), especially since you only get two appeals per season. Nonetheless, it's a damn shame since OCSC relies on the Brazilian so much and he always brings some impressive plays.

4. Fabian Espindola Needs to Calm Down
Fabian Espindola was shown a straight red in the match Friday against the Sounders after throwing an elbow towards Zach Scott's throat, this is, I should note, the second suspensions he's served this year for discipline issues; his first was a six game ban carrying over from last season when he shoved an assistant referee in the second leg of the eastern conference playoff against NYRB. The thing is, Espindola has always had these sorts of discipline issues, even when he played for RSL. Espindola seems to be good for at least one disciplinary suspension a year in MLS, and that's not a good sign. At some point one of his coaches needs to tell the fiery forward to calm down, just a bit, maybe have him do meditation or something. A forward is no use if they're sitting in the stands, after all.

A short week in MLS, mercifully so, as the Gold Cup absences are already being felt, here's what's going on:

1. MLS's Refusal To Take Time Off Hurts Quality and Parity
We all know that MLS not taking time off for international breaks hurts the quality of the game in MLS, naturally most of the best players are gone with their national teams. One thing that is often overlooked is how much it hurts team parity though, each team is hit differently in a very tightly matched league. For teams with lots of North American and Central American talent, the Gold Cup is devastating to their rosters; three teams, Toronto, FC Dallas and Real Salt Lake are missing five players for the gold cup, many of them players key to each team's success, but some teams aren't missing anyone and others aren't missing any starters. I can certainly understand not taking off for competitions that you might not have many players in, the Cup of Nations, the Euro and Copa America generally don't include a lot of MLS players, but when you draw most of your talent from North and Central America not taking time off for the Gold Cup is ridiculous. The loss of five players by RSL with three of them being regular starters seems awfully unfair when DC United is only missing Michael Seaton(who? Exactly) doesn't it?

2. MLS Teams Reload
The international window opens on the 8th, but MLS teams are already (re)loading up on whoever they can get that fits their needs or wants. Steven Gerrard and Andrea Pirlo are the big names so far that are official, but other teams are aiming to pick up midrange talent, the Sounders for example signed former player and fan favorite Erik Friberg. If the much rumored "Core Player" mechanic comes in before the international window opens up, expect a very chaotic and busy July for MLS teams scrambling to work out the math to add a new shiny DP while making someone else a "core player".

3. Kaka Sees Red
For the first time in his career, Kaka sees a straight red...and it wasn't a deserved one, in my opinion. Some people are saying he "stomped" on Morales, but if anything his feet got tangled with the RSL player. A yellow was well deserved...a straight red, not so much. Orlando City won't file an appeal because it's hard to get a red card overturned when there is clearly a cardable offense (a Disciplinary Committee rule that I don't have a problem with), especially since you only get two appeals per season. Nonetheless, it's a damn shame since OCSC relies on the Brazilian so much and he always brings some impressive plays.

4. Fabian Espindola Needs to Calm Down
Fabian Espindola was shown a straight red in the match Friday against the Sounders after throwing an elbow towards Zach Scott's throat, this is, I should note, the second suspensions he's served this year for discipline issues; his first was a six game ban carrying over from last season when he shoved an assistant referee in the second leg of the eastern conference playoff against NYRB. The thing is, Espindola has always had these sorts of discipline issues, even when he played for RSL. Espindola seems to be good for at least one disciplinary suspension a year in MLS, and that's not a good sign. At some point one of his coaches needs to tell the fiery forward to calm down, just a bit, maybe have him do meditation or something. A forward is no use if they're sitting in the stands, after all.

Since the MLS has a playoff format I don't think its that big of a deal. You just have to get in, it's not like the European leagues were every point is vital.

In theory you just have to get in...but the bottom 4 in the playoffs have to play a single elimination round to play teams 1 and 2 this year, so staying in the top two is vital. Additionally teams 3 and 4 will play at home in the elimination round, so slipping to 5 or 6 can be a major blow. And if you don't think a single point can matter in MLS, tell that to the 2014 Timbers, they missed the playoffs by literally 1 point (they had the higher goal differential than Vancouver); one more tie and they were in. You could also tell that to the 2013 Chicago Fire or San Jose Earthquakes, both missed the playoffs by a single point (they were out of the playoffs on tie-breakers). Look at the standings right now and you'll see how much a point could matter; in the west there is a mere 1 point plus tie breakers difference between 1st and 4th and a 3 point difference between 5th and 1st, in the east DC United might be running away with it, but below that the difference between 2nd and 6th is, again 1 point and tie breakers. A win or a tie might be the difference between having a post season or sitting on the sidelines.

So I didn't post last night for various excuses.

THoughts on the USMNT victory over Honduras

First, the win was key. Now a win over Haiti and they are through to knockouts. That plus a draw between Honduras and Panama and they've clinched the group.

Second, the ref was atrocious. I cannot believe someone that inexperienced was given the keys to a major tournament. CONCACAF refs are horrible, this one was one of the worst. His inability to play advantages, the fact that he issued only one yellow to Honduras (for repeat offender) when they had at a minimum 2 challenges that endangered the safety of a US player and were late to boot. Yedlin was getting mugged out there and no foul. It still baffles me today, how Najar was able to just 2 hand shove Yedlin, and not get a foul. It's baffling.

Thoughts on players

I was concerned with Dempsey after his performance in the friendly, he looked tired and thouhg inventive, uninspired, I was concerned about maybe some rust/frustration from his suspension. He answered that yesterday with greatness. What a great performance he had. He was getting fouled, making passes and obviously scoring goals. That's what we need from him. If he keeps this up we're gonna be in great shape on the goal scoring front.

Bradley looked very strong. He wasn't the best I've seen him or close to it. But he put in 90 strong minutes that if he does that consistently we'll have a good number of chances.

Yedlin looked good despite playing with a disadvantage of being mugged and not getting a call. He was fast back and forth, unlike the other side of the field, there was always someone back on the right side defending as both Chandler and Yedlin were booking it back.

Guzan looked great. He was decisive and I can only think of one wrong move he made, one of his clearnaces was squibbed. That's not a bad night. He took all the right paths to the ball, he did everything right. His only goal allowed was because Alvarado fell asleep.

Brooks looked good. Got schooled badly on one play, but overall made a lot of important clearances and heads up plays. I hope he smoothes out some of his rough edges, he is a special talent if he does. He's got insane vision for a CB when it comes to passes.

Alvarado aside from that one play looked good. I odn't know what happened. I like Alexi Lalas's comment on it, do anything.Slide, whistle, do magic, just don't let him go in with a half challenge. Aside from that though he was good. That's the thing with him though, he's very raw. But if he smoothes out those edges he will be good.

Johnson was solid. He was caught forward a few times and Beckerman was forced to LB which opened up the middle. That's the risk with playing him though. But he made some great runs and was challenging defenders and really didn't let anyone get the better of him when he was in defense.

Chandler looked good. He was tasked with covering probably their best forward or mid (Najar) and Najar aside from pushing Yedlin off the ball, really didn't do too much on the day. He deserves some credit for that. I don't recall any howling mistakes from him aside from one turnover.

Jozy was basically not there today. I think that was the product of being as far forward as he was against 3 CBs, they were pestering him all day. He held up play a bit, and created the chance that lead to the first goal. He was OK. Certainly better than Wondo was off the bench. I don't see a better striking option or I'd say play them. Only other thing I can think of if he struggles through the tourney ( I don't think he will) is put Dempsey up top and have Mix and Bradley at CM and Morales at CDM.

Beckerman looked slow. He was smart which was his saving grace from this being a horrific performance, He couldn't keep up with anyone. When Najar cut in, it was the responsibility of the defense (either RB chasing or CB blocking) to cover him because Beckerman couldn't keep up with him. He's just too slow right now. For that I think we need to look at Mix or Morales, and using Beckerman as the sub to calm things down. This is where you wish Jones or Cameron was healthy. Cause they'd slot so well in there as a wreckingball CDM.

Gyasi to me lost his starting spot. I'm not saying bury him on the bench. He does a lot of things well, but he was clearly the weakest player for the US. Too many turnovers from him. Either from terrible passes or just getting the ball stripped from him. I think Bedoya or Zusi will start the next match on the left side. I also think rotation is key so he'll start again because some players will have tired legs.

Evans did well off the bench. He made a few very smart plays and showed why JK named him to the roster. Not cause he's gonna start, but for 30-40 minutes he'll be a very strong defender. Zusi looked decent in his spell aside from the time he did a great job winning the ball only to hodl it and pass it back which eventually lead to a change of possession for Honduras. Wondo really did nothing. He didn't have great service either. He basically was just fresh legs chasing the ball.

I mostly agree with you...but I'm going to strongly disagree on Timmy Chandler. He had a few of his usual "brainfart" moments and his positioning was wrong a lot throughout the night, if it wasn't for Yedlin covering for him I think Chandler would have been smoked multiple times. Zardes, I think, just isn't good at midfield, as a striker? Sure, he does fine, but he has no clue what to do on defense; you can work on that but the Gold Cup is not the place to learn. Personally I think Jozy might have taken a knock or two from Honduras somewhere along the way, he looked good (but not great) for the first half, but the second half he was out of it. Alvarado looked pretty bad to me, but in a "this can be worked on" sort of way, I'm not so sure I want him starting in a match against more talented opposition though. Overall I thought it was an ugly game and an ugly win...but with the ref not calling anything and Honduras playing rugby, I'll take a win with no injuries. Haiti and Panama should be less violent and less challenging opponents, fortunately.

I thought our 2 center backs + Chandler were crap.
Tim Ream needs to be playing. He is quality.

That was our toughest game until probably the semi final.
I'm not interested in seeing a defensive minded midfielder like Beckerman start until then.
I'd like to see Bedoya more.

There you go. Take that & rip it to shreds. Please write a lengthy rebuttal complete with bullet points.

I'm not interested in seeing a defensive minded midfielder like Beckerman start until then.

There you go. Take that & rip it to shreds. Please write a lengthy rebuttal complete with bullet points.

Okay.

• While I didn't like Alvarado, Brooks was mostly solid. Instead of Alvarado I'd like to see Gonzalez more than Ream myself, but Ream is pretty good too.
  • Don't sleep on Panama, they made it all the way to the final last time. Panama had a bad game against Haiti, but they can still be dangerous.
  • I think you need to keep a defensive center mid involved so everyone is used to playing with one. besides that, I'm a big fan of not taking unnecessary chances.
  • Bedoya or Zusi at left mid would be my preference.

Tim Ream? I just threw up in my mouth.

I mostly agree with you...but I'm going to strongly disagree on Timmy Chandler. He had a few of his usual "brainfart" moments and his positioning was wrong a lot throughout the night, if it wasn't for Yedlin covering for him I think Chandler would have been smoked multiple times. Zardes, I think, just isn't good at midfield, as a striker? Sure, he does fine, but he has no clue what to do on defense; you can work on that but the Gold Cup is not the place to learn. Personally I think Jozy might have taken a knock or two from Honduras somewhere along the way, he looked good (but not great) for the first half, but the second half he was out of it. Alvarado looked pretty bad to me, but in a "this can be worked on" sort of way, I'm not so sure I want him starting in a match against more talented opposition though. Overall I thought it was an ugly game and an ugly win...but with the ref not calling anything and Honduras playing rugby, I'll take a win with no injuries. Haiti and Panama should be less violent and less challenging opponents, fortunately.

Chandler was alright. I think he gets put under too much of a microscope given his past. Yedlin did help a ton. He was tasked with marking their best player and Najar really didn't do too much.

I think Zardes is a solid mid, but I don't think he can do it for 60. I think he's good for 30-40. I would rather him be a winger. I don't think he's an out and out striker either.

I don't think Panama will be easy by any stretch of any imagination. They've been in better form recently than Honduras as well.

LOL.
What is it about him that you don't like?

Have you watched him play on the national team? I get it he's been really solid with club. But he has been horrible for the national team. Seems like almost every game he's played significant minutes he's made a boner move that concede a goal. Whether it's because he didn't hold the line, or made a poor pass/clearance, etc.

Some players don't succeed on the national level, just like some are better on the national level. I am of the opinion that Ream is one of those guys who hasn't succeeded at the national level.

Have you watched him play on the national team? I get it he's been really solid with club. But he has been horrible for the national team. Seems like almost every game he's played significant minutes he's made a boner move that concede a goal. Whether it's because he didn't hold the line, or made a poor pass/clearance, etc.

Some players don't succeed on the national level, just like some are better on the national level. I am of the opinion that Ream is one of those guys who hasn't succeeded at the national level.

He's barely even played for the national team since 2011. A few substitute appearances last year. He had a poor gold cup in 2011, but has been in great club form the past 2 seasons.

Chandler was alright. I think he gets put under too much of a microscope given his past. Yedlin did help a ton. He was tasked with marking their best player and Najar really didn't do too much.

I think Zardes is a solid mid, but I don't think he can do it for 60. I think he's good for 30-40. I would rather him be a winger. I don't think he's an out and out striker either.

I don't think Panama will be easy by any stretch of any imagination. They've been in better form recently than Honduras as well.

Personally, I didn't care about the Chandler drama when it happened, I just think he makes too many mistakes, mostly in positioning; he doesn't have the speed be able to get up as far as he does against fast opposition like Najar and still get back in time and he doesn't recognize it. Chandler's issues are fixable, but so far he doesn't seem willing to fix them.

I think Panama will be easier than Honduras, though they aren't going to be as easy as Haiti. Panama did make it to the final last Gold Cup but I think that was more of a fluke.

Personally, I didn't care about the Chandler drama when it happened, I just think he makes too many mistakes, mostly in positioning; he doesn't have the speed be able to get up as far as he does against fast opposition like Najar and still get back in time and he doesn't recognize it. Chandler's issues are fixable, but so far he doesn't seem willing to fix them.

I think Panama will be easier than Honduras, though they aren't going to be as easy as Haiti. Panama did make it to the final last Gold Cup but I think that was more of a fluke.

Haiti won't be a total walk over either. We got the tough group. Hopefully we win against Haiti and Panama/Honduras draws so we lock up the number 1. Hopefully the 3rd place team we get will be easy. Canada or Cuba wouldn't be bad and probably are realistic.

Haiti won't be a total walk over either. We got the tough group. Hopefully we win against Haiti and Panama/Honduras draws so we lock up the number 1. Hopefully the 3rd place team we get will be easy. Canada or Cuba wouldn't be bad and probably are realistic.

Well, no team is a total walk, at least in my opinion, unless it's Germany vs Micronesia or something like that. But Haiti is about as close as you can come to a total walk in the Gold Cup.

Well, no team is a total walk, at least in my opinion, unless it's Germany vs Micronesia or something like that. But Haiti is about as close as you can come to a total walk in the Gold Cup.

Given form I can see an arguemnt they're not too far behind Honduras. Honduras has better talent of course. But results favor Haiti.

Eh, we'll have to agree to disagree for now, I think. I was worried about Honduras (if nothing else, broken collar bones are no joke!), they've had some very good form almost tying Brazil in Brazil, but I'm not nearly as worried about Haiti or Panama. Haiti's result against Panama was a cause for celebration by the Haiti team, Panama was disappointed and with good reason, Haiti hasn't looked great in their recent results and they are just happy to be here really. Panama got to the final last time around...but they haven't looked nearly as good in the run up to this Gold Cup, their last game before the cup was a 4-0 shellacking by Ecuador (though their win against Costa Rica in March probably gives them a bit of swagger). It would be absolutely shocking to me for the US to come away with anything but a win against Haiti, Panama could tie us but is almost certainly a win, Honduras was the only one I thought could wind up a tie.

Was just having a look at the Europa league qualifying rounds. I had always thought they were spaced out some, but if you enter in the 1st round, you basically play every week in July & August until you are knocked out.

West Ham doesn't even get a summer break.
3 qualifying rounds, then a "play-off" round against teams knocked out of champions league qualifiers before the group stage is even drawn.

:eek:

Mexico really took it to Cuba who was missing several players (6 and coach were left on flight, one defected)

Yeah, kinda hard to win when a third of your team and your head coach aren't there. I mean, Cuba probably wasn't going to win...but they probably weren't going to lose that badly.

Overall though I felt that Ream did a pretty good job. Even the play he had issues with is one that a lot of folks would get burned on. Nonetheless, little doubt that Ream needs to be 2nd or 3rd string at center back.

Overall it wasn't a pretty win, at all. It kind of felt like the USMNT were an engine that wouldn't keep running, they would string together some brilliant 1-2 passing for a few minutes and then they'd lose the ball a couple of times and go back to letting Haiti run at them. I think Klinsmann put in something of a "B" team for this match though, guys with an outside shot at a starting roster position. Guzan looked much stronger in this match, dare I suggest Tim Howard like? No. I don't. But still very good. Aron Johannsson also looked very good for the USMNT, if he got a little bit luckier he could very well have had 5 goals. I don't think the initial formation worked very well at all though, once Altidore came off Zardes played left winger, basically and the US looked a lot better in that formation. Overall, it's weird to say that the win that got a guaranteed 1st place in our group was disappointing, but it kind of was. Nonetheless, a win is a win, Panama is up next and they will be fighting for their lives, USA can rest some folks that need it or put their foot down and really stamp their authority on the tournament, I'm hoping for the latter.

Ream really did nothing. I mean he wasn't terrible, but he was caught out of position a little too often. More than once he was the person last in line of the back line. A better team could have exploited that even more. Maybe Ream can successfully pair with Brooks, but we were lucky we weren't facing a better team. I also dont think it's a coindicence that their RW player got as many chances as he did. Garza had little help when he cut in. For example on the header opportunity, why were Ream and Gonzalez in the positions they were in? Just lots of issues in the back.

I'm hoping for the Brooks/GOnzalez pairing. It's the highest risk pairing and the highest reward pairing. Might as well see what they can do against a good opponent when the game doesn't matter.

I would also start Morales, neither Beckerman or Mix did much in their starts, might as well try Morales. Bradley has been great all tournament, but his partners haven't.

I liked Beckerman off the bench. He provided much needed covering when the legs of our CBs started to wear down, I think that will be important. He's not fast enough to start, he will get abused by guys like Gio Dos Santos and other fast wingers who cut in, but as a late sub when everyone else is tired, he can work that role well.

I also liked Zardes off the bench. In the first match after a bit he looked mentally tired. This time he came on and looked solid. If Jozy continues to not be 100% I think pariing him and Zardes would be smart. Jozy beats up and tires out the defense for the first half. Gyasi comes on and out runs them in the second.

No one really grabbed attention. I would ocnsider trying the Fabian/Garza pairing just to see if it would work. I know Jurgen likes Fabian at left full back because of his dual footedness and ability to attack wide or central, but if Garza is our second best full back, then we need to try to get him in there. And he looked good yesterday.

Also the first formation didn't work. It was an interesting idea to tinker with against a weak opponent, but it just didn't work. I think it was mainly because we got too central, and we're a team who likes to work wide to create passing lanes and work defenses.

This is what I'd do for the next game which again doesn't really matter

GK - Yarbrough (to cap tie)
RB - Johnson
CB - Brooks
CB - Gonzalez
LB - Garza
CDM - Morales
RM - Yedlin
LM - Bedoya
CAM - Bradley
ST - Jozy
ST - Dempsey.

Does Roku give you access to Fox Sports Go? That's their streaming site and as long as you can access the Fox Sports 1 portion you should be able to work with that. I don't know a lot about Roku though.

Another week of MLS, but this week the most interesting drama happened off the field.

1. The MLS Silly Season Begins and Ends with TAM
In case you haven't heard, the "core player" rumor was actually a dud, but Target Allocation Money (or TAM) is something similar. Here's how TAM works: Every team in MLS gets $500,000 to spend in the next five years, but you can only spend TAM money if you have 3 or more designated players (or DPs) already. The TAM money can be used to either pay down a current DP to a non DP pay level (note: the player still gets paid, mind you) so you can acquire a new DP of the same or higher value, or you can spend it to bring in someone above the player maximum of roughly $435,000 as a non DP, up to 3 players at a time. One key thing to note is that you have to spend $100,000 per year or use it in the next year or it is gone, but you can use the whole bunch immediately all at once if you like. If that all seems way to complicated, then just put it this way: This could be used to bring in essentially a 4th DP for each team.

Now, there was a rumor floating around that LA wanted to pick up Giovanni Dos Santos as a DP using these new rules back when the "core player" rumor was floating around, is it possible under these rules? Well, kind of. Omar Gonzalez is making about $1.2 million per year, pro-rated as this is halfway through the year LA could use roughly $400,000 TAM to pay him down to sub DP levels and bring in a "fourth" DP for the second half of the year. The catch comes next year. TAM money can't be combined with other allocation money, so for LA to keep Omar using TAM, they must acquire roughly $600,000 TAM, or at least $800,000 regular allocation money, that's a big ask to make and people won't let that sort of allocation money go easily, LA could do it and try to win it this year, but they're almost certainly screwed the next. The teams this helps the most are actually teams in a situation like the Sounders, they pay Ozzie Alonso $400,000 as a DP despite that being under the limit due to his old contract, with the TAM money Seattle can pay down his salary comfortably for the entirety of the five years and bring in a shiny, new and expensive third DP (probably in midfield). In any case, TAM money makes this international window a whole lot more interesting for MLS teams.

2. Gold Cup Results And MLS Teams
With the Gold Cup almost done with the group rounds, a lot of teams look to be getting players back in MLS next weekend. Canada, Haiti and Cuba all sit last in their group and while it's possible they could claw out of it it's not very likely. Cuba, obviously means nobody back for MLS (embargo is still in place and all), but Canada means a massive group of 10 players will be coming back to MLS, key figures include Cyle Larin for OCSC and Russell Teibert for Vancouver, of all the teams Toronto gets the most back with 3 players coming back in. In third sit Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras, there's not as many players there but of particular note is Marco Pappa, the Sounders third best goal scorer so far this season who has hardly been used by Guatemala, Guatemala sits worst of the three with 1 point and a -2 Goal Differential, so it's very possible Seattle will see their star midfield winger back soon. The US, of course, has the lion's share of MLS players on its team (12) so a lot of teams will be missing key players until the very end.

3. Defense Optional in NYCFC vs Toronto
Toronto and NYCFC apparently decided defense was optional in the 4-4 result today, a game that saw a record 4 penalties called (2 of them saved), Sebastian Giovinco netted a hat trick and an assist while David Villa got a brace and an assist. In Toronto's defense though, they are missing their two starting center backs and were down to their third choice at left back, once Toronto get some men back I think Toronto will be the scariest team in the east, if they can patch over some of their defensive issues they'll run rampant.

4. Philadelphia Upsets and Embarasses the Timbers
The Portland Timbers were in a prime position to overtake hated rivals Sounders FC on Saturday night, but Philadelphia found their scoring boots and put in the best performance of the season so far. Philly's defense still looks like a mess, but if the Union can keep opponents on the back foot like they did against the Timbers they will be a legitimate threat.

5. Colorado Have the Rocky Mountain Cup in Reach
Colorado might be having a tire fire of a season, but one feather they might be able to place in their cap is the Rocky Mountain Cup, a trophy for the winner of the series between RSL and Colorado. Colorado beat RSL by a stunning 3-1 on Saturday and if they can tie or win when they face RSL at home in October they could snatch the hardware away from RSL.

Any suggestions to watch the USA match tomorrow on a roku? We don't have cable.

I don't have cable either. So, all the US games I watch are in spanish. :D

The game will definitely be broadcast on one of the spanish networks you can get over the air. The other option is to try one of their streaming channels if you are planning to watch it on your computer. Univision, Telemundo, one of those should have a free stream going.

What do you know, Tim Ream gets smoked on Haiti's best chance of the night :mug:

I actually thought Ream played pretty well. Besides a poor clearance that led to a shot from outside the box, I thought he did almost everything asked of him. Had some good interceptions & tackles, but his man marking was really good. Always seemed to be on the right side of his man.

Hoppy, I know you don't like him, and that you would be looking for any half chance to blame him for something, but my point is when you look at him compared to our other center back options, I think he should be considered for more playing time. I don't think he's ever going to be world class or that he needs to be playing for a better team, I just think that overall, our center backs are so bad that he really isn't far off being a starter.

I actually thought Ream played pretty well. Besides a poor clearance that led to a shot from outside the box, I thought he did almost everything asked of him. Had some good interceptions & tackles, but his man marking was really good. Always seemed to be on the right side of his man.

Hoppy, I know you don't like him, and that you would be looking for any half chance to blame him for something, but my point is when you look at him compared to our other center back options, I think he should be considered for more playing time. I don't think he's ever going to be world class or that he needs to be playing for a better team, I just think that overall, our center backs are so bad that he really isn't far off being a starter.

Ream wasn't horrific, but that's got less to do with his play and more to do with how not very good Haiti was. Him letting up 2 chances to Haiti doesn't look very good when they only had a few chances the whole game. Ream could have been worse, but he was certainly one of the worst players on the pitch for the US. Not quite Jozy bad, and Garza was probably the worst overall defender, but after those 2 he was next in the firing line.

ANd that doesn't include the fact that he was caught behind not holding the line several times and Haiti wasn't good enough to take advantage of that. Mexico will be. Maybe he pairs better with another style of CB, I'm not sure, but he certainly didn't give me any confidence when it comes to playing the big boys.

I'll say it again, tonight is the night to experiment.

Let Jozy stay out there longer, don't know if he's healthy enough for 90, but keep him out there to try to get a goal to get his mojo going the right way.

DO the Brooks/GOnzalez pairing. Panama is a good team who'll test those 2. While he may not be the best, Blas Perez is certainly a quality striker, and he'll test them. Same with Tejada. If they can control those 2 effectively we need to stick with them.

I'd also tweak the FB pairings. Maybe try Johnson and Garza or Chandler and Garza just to see if there's anything there.

I'd put Morales starting at CDM, and I'd put Bedoya and Yedlin out wide. ANd I'd cap tie Yarbrough, but that's a harder one because you also want Guzan to play and keep up his positive momentum. Hard choice there.

Ream wasn't horrific, but that's got less to do with his play and more to do with how not very good Haiti was. Him letting up 2 chances to Haiti doesn't look very good when they only had a few chances the whole game. Ream could have been worse, but he was certainly one of the worst players on the pitch for the US. Not quite Jozy bad, and Garza was probably the worst overall defender, but after those 2 he was next in the firing line.

ANd that doesn't include the fact that he was caught behind not holding the line several times and Haiti wasn't good enough to take advantage of that. Mexico will be. Maybe he pairs better with another style of CB, I'm not sure, but he certainly didn't give me any confidence when it comes to playing the big boys.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree.
Every single article I read said he played well, and most gave him a rating higher that Omar. If you think he was one of our worst players you are clearly blinded by trying proving a point.

Let Jozy stay out there longer, don't know if he's healthy enough for 90, but keep him out there to try to get a goal to get his mojo going the right way.

Screw that! Jozy has played absolutely horribly the past two games. He looked like a house league player out there. Get him off the field and start somebody else. Maybe that will light a fire under his ass.

Screw that! Jozy has played absolutely horribly the past two games. He looked like a house league player out there. Get him off the field and start somebody else. Maybe that will light a fire under his ass.

He has been horrible. But he's the best striker we have. If he doesn't get going tonight, then bench him for more important games. Jozy has done this where he hits funks, but when he comes out of them, his form is second to none. If he struggles then bench him for Johannson for the knockout rounds.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree.
Every single article I read said he played well, and most gave him a rating higher that Omar. If you think he was one of our worst players you are clearly blinded by trying proving a point.

Well, except that he wasn't better than Omar. And every report I've read said the opposite. Even if we go with the notoriously pessimistic ESPN, who probably owuld have given Carli Lloyd a 9.5 in the WWC final. MLS seems to be more honest and better, and they had Gonzalez as the superior. Again that's not including the times that ream was the last defender to react to the line leaving potential holes.

Granted I have my reservations about Omar, he seems too willing to jump up into pressing players without concern for his line,

Back