BrewDog, still not beer, 55% ABV, £500/bottle, Dead Animal Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love them. I think these guys are hilarious even though I don't really like their beer. Pretty sure it's harvested roadkill.

If it is made by simple fermentation from barley, hops, and water. It is beer.

Even beer can be freeze concentrated and still be beer. Eis-Bock?

If it is made by simple fermentation from barley, hops, and water. It is beer.

Even beer can be freeze concentrated and still be beer. Eis-Bock?

So you're saying that freeze distillation qualifies as beer, but fractional distillation makes it whiskey? What about chemical separation? What if someone used a centrifuge? I bet you could get to 95%.

I just don't see any logic in the distinction. There are much stronger "beers" on the market. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_T._Stagg

So you're saying that freeze distillation qualifies as beer, but fractional distillation makes it whiskey? What about chemical separation? What if someone used a centrifuge? I bet you could get to 95%.

I just don't see any logic in the distinction. There are much stronger "beers" on the market. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_T._Stagg

Many liquor commsions do not consider freezing, distillation. So it is those commissions who decide whether or not it is still beer or if it has become a spirit. But, even the German purity laws recognized Eis-Bock as beer.

I do, however, expect as this type of product becomes more and more diverse thanks to Brew-Dog and BBC taht it will develope into a spirit category based solely on alcohol content alone rather than method of distillation.

And yes, i do realize that whiskey is based on malt barley. The distillation process is much different than freezing tho'.

Who in the world s dumb enough to pay £500 for a bottle?

With only 11 bottles being released, I'm sure many people would be "dumb" enough, and it will probably prove to be a good investment. None of those will be drank so it doesn't matter how it tastes.

No amount of centrifugation will separate the EtOH from the H2O!

in the video ad for the new 55% beer, they mention that it contains Mead ??:

[ame="http://vimeo.com/13537656"]http://vimeo.com/13537656[/ame]

Its funny, but its only a gimmick; nothing more. There are a hell of a lot better and more important things to spend money on than $700 bottles of gimmick beer that probably taste like ass from a couple of stoner-looking brewers dressed in animal costumes.

haven't had any of their frozen beers and don't really plan on it. Not into that stuff really but whatever floats your boat. I will be trying the hard core IPA soon though.

No amount of centrifugation will separate the EtOH from the H2O!

Not without chemically treating it, no. The result would probably taste horrible, but then again so do all of the BrewDog beers I've tried.

GilaMinumBeer: BBC doesn't brew any eis-beers AFAIK. Even the 27% Utopias is fermentation only.

I really like the brewdog beers I've had. Punk IPA and Hardcore IPA are great. I also really liked the collaboration (Bashah) they did with Stone. Never tried any of their super high gravity stuff, but I've got a bottle of Rip Tide Imperial Stout aging in my closet for later enjoyment. And yes, they are hilarious.

I went to the link and read the article. Interesting.

After seeing the picture of the squirrel I have to say that you could carry a six pack of these on your belt since they hold themselves on.:rockin: ;)

Who's the person who said we should respect animals...is that before or after we eat them?

I've had the Tactical Nuclear Penguin from Brewdogs. One of the guys in my brew club brought it to a meeting. It was interesting - more like Jager than beer actually. Not worth a c-note for a bottle though.

If you want a mouthfull of hops try trashy blonde, bit like putting a hop bud in your mouth and then drinking some vaguely malted water. Punk IPA is not too shabby, really just like trashy blonde but with less hops.

Only a sick person could come up with this idea - how stoned would you have to be to say, "Duuuude, we could make a KILLING by selling beer wrapped in animal carcass!"

Very interesting, but there is no way I would pay $765 for a novelty item.

Several thousand for a bottle of 200-year old champagne ... sure!

Me either, but they got their name all over major news networks around the world.......Mission accomplished!

Now if only they made beer worth drinking.

I have had 2. Paradox Islay 2009 and Meikeller sumthin' sumthin' 2009.

Both were more cloying than a Dogfishes Head, neck, or backside.

Not a brewery I will be searching for in the future.

BrewDog exploded onto the beer scene, and I was really interested in them. Then they very, very obviously decided to go the route of controversy whore, reporting themselves to the alcohol bureau in the UK, etc. I was with them when they got into trouble for Tokyo*, and then made the super low abv Nanny State. Now though? Meh. They're more marketing than beer. I had their Punk IPA and Chaos Theory; the latter was okay and the former I didn't really like (all bitterness, no flavor/aroma hops, and very thin).

They're trying to become the Howard Stern of brewing, and as a result I just don't care anymore.

Well the thing is it's worked, according to their blog they were all sold out in hours, that 11 x £500 = £5500. Overheads shouldn't be too bad, nice bit of drinking money, excuse the semi-pun. That's easy money,

I think these guys are awesome. I think on a forum of homebrewers it is sad that so many of us are down on them.

Their beer is dumb, but "your" hibiscus honey wheat with lavender flowers is totally OK? :rolleyes:

These guys are having a blast, making money brewing, and doing things no-one else is doing. Power to them. I just don't understand how as a homebrewer you can be against this sort of thing???

I think these guys are awesome. I think on a forum of homebrewers it is sad that so many of us are down on them.

There beer is dumb, but "your" hibiscus honey wheat with lavender flowers is totally OK? :rolleyes:

These guys are having a blast, making money brewing, and doing things no-one else is doing. Power to them. I just don't understand how as a homebrewer you can be against this sort of thing???

Because they aren't the ones making the money?

I think these guys are awesome.

A big fat giant +1 to this...I wish they were in the States so it was easier to get their brews...and that the ABC in NC would allow some of their really high ABV stuff in so I could try it!

A big fat giant +1 to this...I wish they were in the States so it was easier to get their brews
Of course, the irony is that this company based itself on the "extreme" aspect of brewing being practiced in the US. I don't much like the extreme versions here, so I sure as hell won't be buying anything even more extreme! :cross:

That's just opinion of course, and opinions are like me. #ssholes! :)

I had a glass of Tokyo at Hamilton's on Wednesday. I thought it was outstanding. at 18.2% I was nursing it for well over an hour but it tasted great (not cloying at all like other super high ABV beers; DFH 120 for example). I liked their punk IPA as well. I don't think I've had anything else of theirs but what I've had I've liked. more power too them. if I had the extra cash laying around I'd totally get a bottle of Sink the Bismark. but even if I had an extra 700 laying around, I don't think I could justify getting that. plus they're hilarious.

My issue isn't that they're making a blast making money brewing, it's that they're making a blast making money. It's one publicity stunt after another with them, and it's about making high abv beer or beer inside of roadkill instead of making beer. Like people said earlier: nobody is going to drink these bottles. So they made a collectible Elvis plate, something to be put on a shelf. Why would we celebrate that in a beer forum?

love the bottles

brewdog-creates-the-end-of-history-55-beer-2.jpg

m9d2g

endofhistory_397x224.jpg

Cant help laughing when i see em

if I had the money you bet your ass I'd drink it. getting it and not drinking it is about as dumb as people who buy a Ferrari only to have it sit in their garage.

My issue isn't that they're making a blast making money brewing, it's that they're making a blast making money. It's one publicity stunt after another with them, and it's about making high abv beer or beer inside of roadkill instead of making beer. Like people said earlier: nobody is going to drink these bottles. So they made a collectible Elvis plate, something to be put on a shelf. Why would we celebrate that in a beer forum?

all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. they make plenty of regular beer while having fun doing their publicity stunts for their extreme beer.

There beer is dumb, but "your" hibiscus honey wheat with lavender flowers is totally OK? :rolleyes:

Well said. While I haven't had their beers (and I'd love to try some), I definitely support them. Craft(and Home) brewing is all about taking what can be done to a new limit. Yeah it might be a bit of a marketing gimick, but they are in the business of selling beer. If their product ends up tasting like crap, it wouldn't be the first time a brewery used attention getting advertising (ehhmm Budwiser) to sell bad beer.

Well, it didn't take long to one-up Brewdog. I wonder how the people feel that bought their $750 beer?

A dutch brewer just came out with a 60% ABV beer for $45 a bottle...

Article link.

Does anyone have any idea how cold the freezer has to be in order to get that concentration? It seems any practicality went out the window a long time ago.

Back