Decotion Mash Flavors - Simple Technique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackAlleyBrewingCo

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a fly sparger. I was thinking of taking a portion of the first runnings and boiling it very vigorously on my stovetop while the sparge continues. This seems like it would be a simple and efficient way to simulate a decoction mash. Would this create the same flavors that decoction mashing generates, or does the inclusion of grain in the decoction mash make a significant difference?

I'll give this a shot in my next batch unless consensus is that it's a bad idea or a waste of time.

Thanks,

TD

Jamil discusses this technique in the Wee Heavy episode, around 15:00.
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/Strong-Scotch-Ale-The-Jamil-Show-12-17-07

Thanks for the reply. Jamil does mention kettle carmelization and melanoidin formation in passing, but in that episode he's talking about creating smoke flavors, not flavors associated with decoction mashing.

Or are the flavors generated by a d-mash simply those two things: kettle carmelization and melanoidin formation?

Thanks,

TD

Back