am I fermenting too hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSDracula

Reaction score
I recently brewed a batch of graff last Sunday and it has been fermenting away for the last 5 days. Problem is I am unable to get the temp down below 74 degrees. I am using the wrap fermenter in a cotton t-shirt in a tub of water with a fan blowing on it cooling method described multiple times on this site.

I live in Mesa AZ 110 outside right now.

I can't cool the house any more than I am. I try to keep the ac at 80 most of the time and I still had a $220 electric bill this month. No money or space for a fermerator. My freezer is small and almost always full so I have no way to freeze and swap water bottles to cool further using my current method.

Is there another cheap method for cooling that I am missing here?

If 74 is the lowest fermenting temperature I can manage what kinds of beers would be able to stand this temperature with no ill effect or maybe even benefit from hot fermentation. I plan to brew an amarillo pale ale next. Is this a good idea given my current predicament?

It would be better at a lower temp, but should still be fine. I've fermented quite a few beers that warm that turned out fine.

I would brew a saison or I believe Wit beers can be fermented at rather high temps.

Otherwise, maybe you can build a fermentation chamber? They aren't too costly and might do the trick.

Your situation has Belgians written all over it. High temps promote esters in any style of yeast, but Belgians are all about esters.

With the APA's and IPA's, the low 60's make a much cleaner beer.

I feel ya man. For the onset of Fall this heat sucks. 113° today, are you kidding me? But I digress. If it's not there already move your fermenter to the coldest part of your house and position it to where the cold air from the vent is in it's path.

Now I used to use the method you're currently using (see pic in my gallery) and I've never done it but perhaps you could pick up a small aquarium water pump, attach it to tubing, tie it around the top, and poke holes in it. Circulating water down the sides of the t-shirt may get you a drop in a few more degrees and the pumps are cheap enough. I know Chuck at What Ale's Ya sells these and frequently has them in use at his store.

When you think about it for a minute you can see why brewing in the summer was banned in Europe.

Maybe you should become a cooler weather brewer and brew constantly while the temps are low to build up your pipeline.

Then again...maybe...you need a REAL underground man-cave...:rockin:;)

I wish I could have gotten my Temps down on my brown ale... 76 was the LOWEST! it smells ok though... Tasted it and it wasn't bad... I'm keeping my fingers crossed as it completes fermentation. I brewed a saison that loved the 80s temps... it had a slight banana ester at first but it went away as it fermented...

Ok, on the flip side what would be too low?

I've got an IPA right now and it's too hot! We have an extra fridge, and at the lowest setting I've been tracking the temp today. It seems to be holding now around 55. Is that too cold? I also have an apfelwein in the ferm.

I live in Dallas and fight the same thing. My setup is as yours is and the lowest I have fermented mine at was 72 using frozen gallon jugs and swapping them out before and after work.

Search for yeast that has a higher tolerance range for fermentation - Safeale-05 is a good dry yeast that ferments clean and can go up to 74 degrees with no ill effects.

HTH,
Dan

Does it all depend on the yeast then really? I have have fluctuating temps. as my AC was out for 2 weeks.... we went from 80s to 60s. Ive read a few yeast sheets and they seem to have a high and low for each one. Is this important information when choosing a yeast for your evironmental conditions?

Does it all depend on the yeast then really? I have have fluctuating temps. as my AC was out for 2 weeks.... we went from 80s to 60s. Ive read a few yeast sheets and they seem to have a high and low for each one. Is this important information when choosing a yeast for your evironmental conditions?

The recommended temperatures are ideal to stay within, unless you want esters, or unfermented sugars. If you live in warm climates (like I do) then you have three options. 1) brew a lot in the cooler months 2) build a fermentation chamber or swamp cooler setup (like i have). 3) brew saisons and other warm fermenting beers. Hope this helps! :mug:

Back