Smash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superdave

Reaction score
I've seen "smash" used more than once, just wondering what it means? Is it an acronym? (Sometimes it is all caps, sometimes some of the letters are, sometimes none.)

Is it just a 'nickname' for the mash, or does it denote some different process or strategy?

S(ingle)M(alt) and S(ingle)H(op). It is a type of beer that uses only one type of malt and one type of hops.

Yeah recipes are eay to create. Close your eyes and point to a list of base Malts, write the one down that your finger on. Next close your eyes and point to a list of hops, write the one down that your finger on.
Then use software to determine how much of each you want to achieve your desired OG and IBUs.

The point of SMaSH brewing is to get an idea of what a certain malt contributes and what a certain hop contributes. This will help you developing recipes in the future.
I jiust did a Marris Otter / Galena SMaSH that I will not be doing agian:)

I tried to figure out what SMaSH was for a while, too. I could not find an entry in the wiki or the search engine. I finally found a post about it. Sounds like a good way to get to know your grains and hops.
cheers

That totally makes sense, and seems like a good way to get to know flavors. Also another good way to have an excuse to brew!

Where did this particular SMaSH fall short in your mind? I just brewed an MO/Centennial SMaSH IPA that I'm hoping will be quite good.

:off:

I am not sure of his problem, but I bought a pound of Galena last year. It should be used in moderation. ;) I read that it should be mild and citusy, but IMHO it can get pretty wild if used in excess. You may be fine with the Centennial.

Back