Raspberry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drycreek

Reaction score
My wife wanted to do a raspberry wheat so we bought the following recipe from our LHBS:

Grains:
1.5 lb White Wheat
0.5 lb Cara Pils Malt
1.5 lb 2-Row Malt

Extract:
5 lb Wheat Extract

Hops:
1 oz Perle (bittering)
0.5 oz Mt Hood (flavor)
0.5 oz Mt Hood (flavor)

Recipe looks fine to me, but the raspberry is in the form of liquid flavoring that is supposed to be added prior to bottling. I was expecting some form of dried raspberries that would be added to the wort before fermentation. Does anyone do it that way when they put fruit in a beer? Could I pick up some fresh raspberries from the grocery store? How would I make sure they are sanitary if I'm adding them after the boil? How do I know how much to add?

I might just stick with the recipe provided and use the raspberry flavoring. The benefit of doing it that way is I could bottle some beers before adding the flavoring, that way I don't end up with 48 raspberry beers.

Does anyone do it that way when they put fruit in a beer? Could I pick up some fresh raspberries from the grocery store? How would I make sure they are sanitary if I'm adding them after the boil? How do I know how much to add?.

One option is Oregon fruit puree. It comes in a can and is sterile when you get it. I've used their raspberry, it's pretty good. Amount seems to vary depending on taste. I've used 3lbs per 5gal batch with pretty good results. The company recommends 1/4 to 1/2 lb per gallon. Keep in mind that it's real fruit with all the sugar and water that entails, so that will a) increase your volume, so make sure it will fit in your carboy, and b) this will restart fermentation for a while, so don't be surprised when you see your airlock start to bubble again.

I have made a fruit beer before. Not a big fan of the flavoring, I have had some store bought beers and did not like them. If you want to add real raspberries to your pot just steep them for 10-15 min at 150 degrees at the end of the boil. Adding the raspberries should drop the temp to around that, depending on the amount you use. The store bought ones should be fine, 4 or more pounds should be a good start.

And dont forget to attach a blow-off tube, you will need one ! :drunk:

Back