Kegerator/co2/beer line/carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetuchenBrewerNJ

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been experiencing a very frustrating problem with my new kegerator for the past two months, and I've posted it here before, but I have been unable to figure it out (but I have new info).

Background: New kegerator. Sam Adams Oktoberfest was missing gasket on tap/coupler so it went flat. Tried to recarbonate, but have only been getting huge head and no carbonation in the beer. I posted here and someone said to get longer beer lines (I had 5 ft of 3/8). Went to my store and got 10 ft of 3/16 (his recommendation). Still having the same problem. I also have a keg of homebrewed pale ale (double tap) that won't carbonate/dispense correctly. I noticed today that with the Sam Adams, the beer line itself has only foam/bubbles...shouldn't this be beer?? Here's a picture (Sam Adams is the top beer line, and this was taken right after I poured a small glass):
kegerator.jpg

Just foam in the beer line, not much beer. Any ideas what could be wrong here? It doesn't appear to be carbonating, but (and I've been playing with it, carbing it, uncarbing it on and off) it's been at 40 degrees at 20 psi for 2 weeks, so I find that hard to believe...so it could be a dispensing issue.

As always, any help is appreciated. This kegerator was in the ballpark of $700, and I have yet to have a good beer. Anyone want to be my hero?

Thanks everyone!

If it's been carbing cold, at 20psi for 2 weeks.....it's probably way over carbonated. Bleed the thing down and set the regulator for 12 psi. Your first couple of days of pours will be foam, but it should eventually stop. Since your using a tower faucet, your beer is getting warm in the tower and off gassing. I have a keggerartor like yours and a keezer I built. For the keggerator I have to pour out the first few ounces of beer because it is warm and foam. I keep a solo cup at the faucet for this and to catch drips. After I pour the first ounces into the cup, I have no problems filling a point glass. Hope that helps.

Hammy-

Thanks for the response. That's what everyone told me originally, and that makes sense (too much carb, it shoots out, carb is released = big head/flat beer). So originally, that's what I did. I reset it and put the psi around 10 for two weeks (I've been messing with this for almost two months). But even at 10, it was still the same problem, big head no carb, which is what makes me feel like there's something else wrong here.

I'll try again, but if anyone has any other ideas, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Seems like from the photo of your beer line, something may up messed up on your coupler. Seems likes its sucking air along with beer, could be a bad gasket somewhere or it's just not seated correctly. That could also explain why it's not carbing up. Another issue could be the keg... Valve in the keg could be sticky or something too. I had issues similar to this, although not that bad, when buying a bunch of commercial kegs. The homebrew was always perfect, but sometimes the commercial kegs were ****ed up. Commercial kegs are often over-carbed when delivered, and also often shock up pretty good. It could take a long time to get the carb level down to where you are trying to serve it.

MetuchenBrewerNJ said:
Hammy-

Thanks for the response. That's what everyone told me originally, and that makes sense (too much carb, it shoots out, carb is released = big head/flat beer). So originally, that's what I did. I reset it and put the psi around 10 for two weeks (I've been messing with this for almost two months). But even at 10, it was still the same problem, big head no carb, which is what makes me feel like there's something else wrong here.

I'll try again, but if anyone has any other ideas, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Keep in mind, too, you have to bleed the pressure off of the keg many times to decarbonate the beer. You probably know that, but in case you don't...

Back