Small Krausen forming after adding oak cubes, why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianjohn

Reaction score
I'm working on a bourbon barrel porter. It started out at 1.062 and ended at 1.026 after two weeks in the primary. Despite many attempts to rouse the yeast I wasn't able to knock it down any lower. I transferred it into the secondary, waited a week and added a bunch of oak cubes and 16 oz of bourbon (the oak cubes soaked in the bourbon for 3 days). It's been about a week since I added those and I just noticed that the fermentation lock is bubbling relatively rapidly (1/second) and a slight krausen is forming.

Any thoughts on why this would happen? Is there anything I can/should do?

Could just be the yeast got back to work after being stirred up in the transfer.
Not much to do but let it go do its thing. Check the gravity see if it helped you knock a few of those extra points off.
Other than that just have a home brew and wait for it to finish up.

I would bet that it is just the oak cubes creating nucleation points for the dissolved CO2 to form bubbles. I would not worry about anything just take a hydrometer reading and if it holds steady that is what is going on.

On a different note have you thought of pitching some US-05 to get your beer to finish at a lower gravity?

I would bet that it is just the oak cubes creating nucleation points for the dissolved CO2 to form bubbles. I would not worry about anything just take a hydrometer reading and if it holds steady that is what is going on.

On a different note have you thought of pitching some US-05 to get your beer to finish at a lower gravity?

Thanks. I thought about re-pitching but was told that 1.026 wasn't that high for this beer and it wasn't worth it.

Back