One Way Keg as a Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYSeattle

Reaction score
I googled One Way plastic kegs and came up wtih not a lot. I looked on here and theres a couple but not a lot.

I hope I dont get flogged but Ill go anyway.

I got one and de constructed it. The sanke fitting came off easy peasy. The tube and spring came out.

I pulled the plastic carboy type tank out withthe lid.

The lid has a locking plastic ring that has directional teeth to hold it tight. I had to use a wooden mallet and a #3 screwdriver and tap it counterclockwise to get it to come loose. I then unscrewed it and the plastic tank was freed from the lid as the ring held all three pieces together.

I scrubbed it all and sanitized it. I took the tube and the inner portion and set it aside and put the sanke neck back on so I could use a regualr carboy stopper to put a fermentation lock on it.

I put some yeasty stuff in it and it has been bubbling away. It makes it very easy to stire the contents if you are making wine too and the sediment settles nicely in the bowl that the bottom forms.

I dont know what kind of plastic the inner liner is made from but Id hope that in this day and age it isnt made with BPA because with the beer drinking we have enough issue without having estrogen to add to it.

Anyone else know much of anything abotu thbe disposable kegs? They are a pain to take apart at first but when you figure it out it isnt all that bad.

If it is anything like a sanke keg, you can just remove the innards, slap a carboy cap on it and call it a day!

I apologize if I am way off the intended topic!

Thats what it sounds like from the description. They don't have a cut away image to tell much about it.

The shell is egg shaped. It can all be disassembled. You can take tou the sanke keg part and use it like that. What I like is that you can sanitize it fairly easily. And all the liquid can be poured out of it.

Ill post pics in a bit when I figure out how to do it. Give me a few minutes.

The shell is plastic. The liner is polycarbonate looks like??? The only metal is the spring in the pick up tube parts.

The One Use Keg is different than the One Way Keg. The One Use Keg has a prioprietary filler I hear, and the One Way Keg has a Sanke fitting. Confusing a little but they are not the same thing.

http://www.diyseattle.com/2011/09/06/one-way-keg-pics/

I uploaded them to my site as I couldnt figure out how to load them on here.

I did not have a pic of the tube but pretty much you unscrew the top sanke part and the tube and spring comes out. The tube and spring are under pressure and getting them to thread and start takes a little pressure and luck. Its not so much that it will break your nose or fly around teribly but keep pressure on it until you unscrew it completely to avoid losing something.

The keg is a little smaller than a areg sanke keg. It might be 8 gallons in the tank, im not sure. It sure makes moving it easier than a carboy or a 5 gallon bucket.

Latest posts

Back