The Abyss from Deschutes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:mug: I have not drank a beer from Deshutes that was not good, although I have not tried Abyss. Just drinking the sesonal Buzzsaw Brown. One fine beer, I had not sampled a Brown before Guess I'll need to try a Newcastle soon.:mug:

Kilted Brewer said:
And....how is it?

Well when they brought the beers over they wanted to open one, so we did. Before the Abyss I had and a few ESB's, a Shakespeare Stout, and 16oz of Apfelwein so my palate was not 100%. I can say that I was surprised by the hoppiness on nose. It was very rich and very dark. I'll crack the other one open when I a little more fresh. Also have a Hop Trip but again that will have to be for another day as well....

chione said:
Well when they brought the beers over they wanted to open one, so we did. Before the Abyss I had and a few ESB's, a Shakespeare Stout, and 16oz of Apfelwein so my palate was not 100%. I can say that I was surprised by the hoppiness on nose. It was very rich and very dark. I'll crack the other one open when I a little more fresh. Also have a Hop Trip but again that will have to be for another day as well....

Hop Trip is very, very good...being a wet hop concoction, it's probably at it's best right now. Drink it!

Abyss, on the other hand...sit on that bad boy as long as you can. I have one that's going to sit tight until winter 2008, at least. I'm trying to get my hands on a couple more.

oooh I haven't had Abyss in awhile, I should go pick up some. You gotta be careful about that beer though, because if you stare into it too long, it starts to stare back at you.

Quercus said:
Hop Trip is very, very good...being a wet hop concoction, it's probably at it's best right now. Drink it!

Abyss, on the other hand...sit on that bad boy as long as you can. I have one that's going to sit tight until winter 2008, at least. I'm trying to get my hands on a couple more.

I bought a case of Hop Trip when it first came out, and just drank my last one last weekend.

In my opinion it lost quite a bit of its flavor and was glad i finished them up when I did.

Definitely drink now.

I got my growler filled with abyss at the pub here in Bend on Monday the 14th, the first Aybss pulled anywhere. Hadn't been on the tap for a minute. I had no idea the commotion this beer has caused around the nation with it's limited supply, I just got it as a favor for some work I did, didn't try for the first at all! Great stuff, it's a HUGE beer. Super complex, super tasty.

Back